What's Everyone Reading?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Spock96, Jul 16, 2011.

1. Ken3

Ken3 MajorGeek

Pirate King - Laurie King (suspense novel Sherlock Holmes/Mary Russell - his wife).

2. Mimsy

Mimsy Superior Imperial Queen of the MG Games Forum

He also wrote Jurassic Park. Raptors!! :-D

On a more serious note, I had forgotten that he actually wrote "real" books, and I thank you for the reminder. I'll check those out when I have down time this coming holiday season. :)

3. Spock96

Spock96 Major Geek 'Spocky'

The two I listed are my favorite of the three or four of his I read. I downloaded that book just need time to start it. :) Thank you.

4. Spock96

@ Mimsy-- I started that book you suggested. I'm on Chapter 3 and it's SO GOOD!! Thank you again. :)

5. Mimsy

Glad you like it! I thought it got better as the plot evolved, so let me know how you like the ending. :)

6. lego126

lego126 DJ's Geeky Dad

Nothing at the moment,,, but I did see at wal-mart that the 4th and last book in the Inheritance trilogy. http://www.alagaesia.com/
    Not sure if anyones read these but I started when Eragon first came out and had to wait like 2-4 years between books, so needless to say, i've been waiting almost 3 yrs on this one. I didn't buy it the other day cause it was almost 30 bucks in hardback. I usually wait for a year and then it'll be 11 dollars in paperback. But I don't think I'll be able to wait this long for this one. :cool

7. Spock96

I will. :)

8. Spock96

Student.

9. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

Ooh. I never did read any of those books but I enjoyed the movie, no sequel either. Thanks for reminding me, I'll pick up the 'trilogy'.

10. Spock96

OH MY Mimsy! That book was Amazing! I finished it the night before last. :) Thank you for suggesting it to me. I hope there are more to this story. I can't even begin to thank you for tell me about it. It's one of those that you can loose yourself in and just don't want it to end(I know I didn't).
    Thank you again Mimsy,
    Spock96

11. canary_joe

canary_joe Private E-2

Been reading some men lit recently. I read "The Ex-boyfriends Handbook" by Matt Dunn, a few weeks back and am now reading "Ex-Girlfriends United".....Really funny books.

12. Spock96

@Mimsy-- Could you possibly recommend any other books like Turning Evolved? I'm outta books and quite bored.

13. Mimsy

Books like it? That'll be difficult, since it's not like any other I've read in a long while. But if you're into fantasy that isn't just another version of "elfs and humans fight orcs to save the world"-deal, then you might like these:

The Queen's Blade
    Becuase sociopathic killers are awesome, and this book reminds me a bit of what Dexter could have been if that series took place in a fantasy society where an Assassins' Guild is a legitimate business venture. Both the Queen and the Blade are well crafted and very memorable characters, as are the rest of the cast. First in a series, the sequels are not free.

Young Lord of Khadora
    Very similar to Raymond Feist's Riftwar books, but the war takes place in one single world, between two races/civilizations. The story is told from the point of view of a young soldier on one side, who gets an unexpected chance to turn things around and maybe actually end the war. Eventually. Great cast of characters, particularly the ones on the "other side" of the war. First in a series, the sequels are not free.

And a scif-fi title for you:

Fatal Boarding
    Follows the basic concept of "Alien", but with a twist. The story starts with a space ship coming across another seeming dead ship deep into space, far from everyone. So naturally, they go to check it out, in case there are survivors in the floating wreck. If you've seen sci-fi movies, you know why this is a bad idea.... and yes, the rest of the book is about why it was an even worse idea in this case. Very enjoyable read, that relies on atmosphere and emotions/psychology to build tension, instead of action sequences. Free as well.

14. Spock96

Thank you Mimsy. I'll look into them, did you get my PM?
    I think I might try to write something again since books I like are getting harder to find.

15. Mimsy

I did, but I haven't had a chance to read Diorama yet. I did download it so I'll gave it for later. I've been distracted by researching how to put Android on my HP TouchPad. ;)

16. Spock96

I see. It's quite good for a short story.

17. HUDIK

HUDIK Sergeant

'The girl with the dragon tattoo' by Stieg Larson

He wrote 3 books, and unfortunately he is no longer with us. Wish he was.

18. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

Awesome books. The movies were unbelievable. I'm not sure how the new US movie coming out is going to possibly hold up...not well, if you ask me, but I'll be seeing it.

19. HUDIK

HUDIK Sergeant

I haven't seen any of the movies (read all 3 books), but will see the one that's coming out soon in NA.
    Also wish I could have read the books in Swedish, as I'm sure the flavour would be different. You are right on though awesome books.:)

20. Spock96

@Mimsy-- I took Turing Evolved and am in the process of creating my own short story with the same kinda feel. (I contacted Mr. Kitson and made sure I wasn't violating any copyrights if I choose to try to get it published...That's what I'm hoping to do)Need to finish it though. Haha

21. Mimsy

Need a proof reader? ;)

22. Spock96

I got a few already. I'll think about it.

23. Spock96

I just purchased "The Shadow and Night" and "The Dark Foundations" Part of The lamb among the stars series. I don't know how many books there are though, I can't get a good site that will tell me them in order.

24. Mimsy

A local outlet store was selling off Aluratek Libre Pro eReaders for $47 (normally they are at least $99), so I bought one, to take with me to places my Sony can't go. Like work, or anywhere where it might be in danger. The Libre Pro came with 100 free public domain books. They're sorted alphabetically, so I'm reading them in order. Right now, "20,000 Leagues Under The Sea", by Jules Verne. I had completely forgotten how utterly awesome the Nautilus is. :)

And Spock, I finally had time to sit down and read Military Diorama a week or so ago, and it's great for a short story. Thanks for recommending it! :)

Oh, by the way, I've heard rumors he's writing a sequel to Turing Evolved... can't wait!

25. Spock96

That's cool. That book was good.
    Personally I prefer an actual book. I like the weight, the feel, and actually turning the pages. I use my kindle on occasion.

26. Ken3

Ken3 MajorGeek

Ken Follet - Fall of Giants Christmas present (thick book - Centruy trilogy)

27. Shadowchaser

Shadowchaser A Really Great Guy

currently reading numerous books with my new Kindle Touch but the one that has most of my interest is Bushwhack: A Serial Story of Off-Trail Hiking and Camping in the Wilderness of the Pacific Northwest by Gerald M. Chicalo. A decidingly different writing style as it was originally written and published in a serial manner on an internet message board. I'm also reading the following:

Alpha Rising by G.L. Douglas
    Tarzan of the Apes by Edgar Rice Burroughs
    Life on the Mississippi by Mark Twain
    The Journals of Lewis and Clark by Meriwether Lewis
    Blackfoot Lodge Tales The Story of a Prairie People by George Bird Grinnel

Of course I have many more on my Kindle but these are the ones I am currently reading.

Jack

28. LauraR

That's a lot of books at one time Wraith! I've never been able (or even wanted) to do that. My mom reads a few books at once.

I am currently reading Ray Bradbury's "Something Wicked This Way Comes".

I've sort of gotten into rereading books I read as a kid. I just read HG Wells' "Time Machine".

29. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

It's fun to re-read books after a long time, especially those that I read when a teen and young adult. Some I couldn't finish because of boredom and other books like Lord of the Rings were fresh to me along with characters being better developed after my 40 years of personal experiences added to the mix.

30. ShelaghRoyale

ShelaghRoyale Sergeant

I've read The Hunger Games series by Suzanne Collins.... Loved it !!
    Now I am reading Gods Behaving Badly by Marie Phillips... already half way through it... is a wonderful light hearted and funny story about Mythical Gods that live in our century....it is a must read... :)

Shelagh :)

31. Spock96

Chapter 3 or 4 into The Shadow and Night. It's very good.
    PS: It's Christian based Science Fiction.( please don't boot this thread because of that.)

32. Spad

Spad MajorGeek

"The Last of the Legions" by Arthur Conan Doyle

As an aside . . . I gotta say I love the Kindle App for iPhone. Many of the classics are available for free! Including the title I am reading now.

Awesome. :major

33. LauraR

Yep. I got "The Time Machine" for free too. :)

34. LoneW0lf

LoneW0lf Private E-2

I`m just generally trying to brush up on my (Computer/Tech) knowledge,but apart from that i`m reading `The Amazing Spiderman` and a book about the human body, also got daredevil comic to read and i started Darth Maul:Shadow hunter about a week ago, been too addicted to readings comics to be bothered to read it lol.

35. Tempest1000

Tempest1000 Private E-2

R.A. Salvatore repeatedly. I love the 'secondary characters' Artemis Entreri and Jarlaxle. They're just totally awesome. ;)

After that... Mostly Star Wars (K.W. Jeter, Karen Traviss, a few others.) The Dresden Files, now that the civil war between my mom and brother (fighting who gets to read them first) is over. David Eddings because I grew up with him, Jodi Picoult on occasion and far too many to name.

I find books are like potato chips. You can't have just one. XD

36. Spock96

EXACTLY My feeling as well.

37. Tempest1000

Tempest1000 Private E-2

Well, I do have an 18 gallon tote of books stashed away. :)

38. Mimsy

Hmmmm... The drow. One of the most brilliant imaginary cultures ever. :)

39. Tempest1000

Tempest1000 Private E-2

Jarlaxle's one of my personal favorites. ;)

40. Mimsy

Pssssh. Ryld Argith beats him any day. With one hand :p

41. the mekanic

the mekanic Major Mekanical Geek

I've been doing the audiobook thing lately, it's hard to read a Kindle while driving ten plus tons of truck. It's easier to observe people doing everything EXCEPT driving, from my vantage point, though. Chick on the expressway yesterday was rolling down the highway with a legal pad, AND her stupidphone at 70 MPH! :mad

I'm in the middle of Idiot America, by Charles Pierce and I just finished "re-reading" Griftopia, by Matt Taibbi the other day.

I have to say that Creationists who can quote from "Of Pandas, and People" actually do frighten me...

:eek

Maybe I should really give Farenheit 451 another read with all the stuff like SOPA, and PIPA these days. Definitely the CODA 50th anniversary edition!

42. Mimsy

It was released as eBook recently... if I can find the link I'll get back to you with it. Not sure on audiobook status.

43. Spad

Spad MajorGeek

"American Individualism" by Margaret Hoover

44. Spock96

45. Mimsy

I forgot you have a Kindle! Never mind then. LOL

46. Tempest1000

Tempest1000 Private E-2

Ah, yes, but Jarlaxle has the power of the radio behind him! Taste the Rainbow! XD

Where is Ryld from anyway? If you don't mind me asking?

47. Tempest1000

Tempest1000 Private E-2

Ah, yes, but Jarlaxle has the power of the rainbow behind him! Taste the Rainbow! XD

Where is Ryld from anyway? If you don't mind me asking?

48. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

[QUOTE
    Where is Ryld from anyway? If you don't mind me asking?[/QUOTE]

He is a Drow weapons master from War of the spider queen by R A savatore

http://www.o-love.net/realms/head_war.html

Mimsey zhah mziln natha ilythiiri jabbuk

49. Tempest1000

Tempest1000 Private E-2

Ah, thank you. Sorry about the previous double post. Didn't realize what I'd done until it was too late to stop the posting.

And yes, Mimsy is. XD

50. Spock96

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds