When are we allowed to help people with malware?

Discussion in 'Majorgeeks Welcome Center' started by lagginator, May 16, 2009.

1. lagginator

lagginator Private E-2

I just want to know. Are there tryouts or something? Training?

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

3. Recycle Bin

Recycle Bin Private First Class

Signing up for training, now!
    I'm glad this option is available. It would be nice to help people for a change.
    Glad this was asked.

4. TeeCee

TeeCee MajorGeek

yes, army guys, we need more army guys to fight those buggers! :booger

5. thesmokingun

thesmokingun MajorGeek

i would be interested, but i just don't think i would have the time to do it...much love and respect to the ones who do...

one thing, and I think it's been asked before, It would be nice to just be able to reply to a post for someone who hasn't done the proper steps in their posts. But i understand that if one person replies to a post, it might not get noticed by the ones who will do the assisting...good work, and thanks for the couple of times i've used it.

6. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

Heads up, its hard work :)

7. Major Attitude

Tried it, what that does is basically bump that post and since the guys do them in order and can run days behind, bumping a thread and adding a post makes it easy to miss compared to a no reply post :) Hope that makes sense.

8. Recycle Bin

Wait, we're supposed to complete all the links in the Helper thing?

9. Kestrel13!

Kestrel13! Super Malware Fighter - Major Dilemma Staff Member

Well you are familiar with the malware removal forum and the FAQ no doubt!

The other links are to training schools which you can join. :)

10. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

Hmm, malware training schools manned by volounteers too, truly amazing! I'd join up with one just to see what I'm up against but then again I don't want to waste their precious time either. I wish I could help out as I have the time and want but I have the short term memory span of a gnat these days!

I'll just keep on keeping on and help with what I know to repay the help I got here, had my hand held even when I didn't know what a PM was!:-D

Hats off to the malware team(s)!:wine

11. Nellman

Nellman Private E-2

these other sites tend to focus on Hijackthis are there any other places that have the same mind set as this site?

12. Major Attitude

Hijack This is a niche app for a specific purpose, frankly it has become outdated and almost no help. Malware changes rapidly, hence the tools need to as well. Any site focusing on Hijack This is missing the point.

13. Recycle Bin

I ended up doing thespyware info and so far I have seen only HJT logs.
    I hope they teach us how to read ComboFix logs and other stuff.
    I can read HTJ logs fairly well but the other logs in MGtools are beyond me.

14. wildwolf220

wildwolf220 Oracle of Doom

Your not wrong there MA;) I have been training for 6 months and it is hard work.

You start off with HJT logs untill they know you can read them correctly.
    When you reach a certain level in your training, you move on to ComboFix and other logs:)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds