Where on (Google) Earth are you?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by bigbazza, Jul 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

Check out and install the latest version from MG at

http://www.majorgeeks.com/Google_Earth_d4659.html

You can then search for almost any place on Earth (broadband or better, though).

When you load up Google Earth, type in your zip (postal) code and Country in the "Fly to" box, and Google Earth will zoom into where you live.

You can then navigate by the compass arrows and the + (plus) and - (minus) signs to zoom in or out for a closer location.

Type in 4870 Australia (my zip code) to zoom into where I live, for example.
    Type in "The WTC" for the World Trade Centre, in New York, Sydney Opera House, Sydney Harbour Bridge, etc.

Pyramidswill take you to the Egyptian pyramids,etc. Amazing. :cool

Where do you live. Give us details so we can check you out. :D Bazza

2. laurieB

laurieB MajorGeek

19°30'3.85"N 155° 3'19.57"W is my new place.

155°47'40.33"W 20°13'56.23"N is where i am for the moment.

3. abri

abri MajorGeek

wow Bazza!!
    I am stunned!
    It's fabulous!!!
    :clap :)
    abri

4. bigbazza

Yeah, but where the bl**dy hell are you. :D :D
    You can also pivot the display to look at it at street level, rather than from above. Bazza

===

5. wildwolf220

wildwolf220 Oracle of Doom

hey bazza unless i done it wrong 4870 Australia says you live in the middle of a forestLOL im at bt282rl.

6. bigbazza

LMAO. :D Use the arrow keys and move about 50mm (2") up and slightly right and you will zero in on Cairns city. By the sea, where all the dots are. ;)

I'm at 16°55' S and 145°45' E (very approximately). You can see the co-ordinates change (at the bottom of screen).

Type in Cairns Australia, rather than 4870 Austalia for a better result.

Screenshot attached, of my car at the back of our flats, I'm pretty sure, as the maps are old and for a long time mine was the only car on this side of the flats. :D

My car is at the top centre of the picture (12 o'clock) behind a block of flats. :cool :D

Bazza

PS: Can you explain " bt282rl " to me, so I can check it out.
    PPS: press the left button of the mouse pointer, and hold it down to move anywhere in the map. Also move the plus / minus pointer at the TOP of the screen, to change the aspect of the map. Baz

===

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 5, 2007
  7. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

be back with a pic.

8. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

X marks my sidewalk. Looks like I'm not home, better call first. :p

Attached Files:

9. laurieB

laurieB MajorGeek

some places are very much more clearer than others i think

10. bigbazza

Depend on the population, popularity, their importance and their photographing timetable, I guess. Bazza

===

11. bigbazza

Just spent the last hour or so adding local placemarks to my Cairns map, for my use.

Menu dropdown, see attached. Bazza

Attached Files:

12. wildwolf220

hey bazza.. on fly to type in bt282rl thats my zip/post code thats how i got it. i tried to attatch an image but the file was to big how do go about attatching it?

13. bigbazza

OK, didn't recognise it as a post code (doh) We only have 4 numbers here in OZ. 4870 Australia will work on Google Earth, but not as good as Cairns Australia.

For cutting image, check out Gadwin Prinscreen at
    http://www.gadwin.com/printscreen/

It is the one I have used for ages when I only want a portion of the screen.
    I use another for full screen. More convenient for me that way. ;)

Not available at MG unfortunately :cry:( Bazza

===

14. bigbazza

Lisburn (eh?) Looks nice and green. What are those ploughed fields?
    For spuds ? :D Bazza

==

15. mcadam

mcadam Major Amnesia

Type in WD49HD and my house is the one next to the square marker :)

None of the cars on the drive are ours though!

16. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

45°45'21.56"N 74° 5'37.48"W It's being built up behind me quite a bit these last fews years, it used to be all forest.:(

17. bigbazza

Now there's a true geeks post code, and easier to remember than that earlier Irish post code.

WD (Western Digital) 49 HD (Hard drive):D

Looks a very pretty place. Bazza

===

18. bigbazza

Yes, these are 5 year old maps, I believe. :(
    Any fish in that lake? Bazza

===

19. bigbazza

Baghdad, Firdos Square, in different times.
    Check out that intersection, and all the vehicles at

33°19'57.17"N 44°24'18.54"E

Bazza

20. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

Bazza, have you found out if you can upload pics to show on google earth. I've seen the blue dots where others have but can't find out if it can be done with the free edition.

21. N5638J

N5638J Guest

I live at 32°10'25.74"N 83°33'44.16"W You can see the church to the east of the house. and now y'all can see how far i live from town ;)

Oh while your at it take a look around and count how many chicken farms you see (tyson chicken farms they are long white looking buildings 3 or more lined up side by side)

22. wildwolf220

it's so green for one reason bazza.. it rains so soddin much lol.

23. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

Actually, those houses were built more than 5 years ago that are to the west, mine is 45 years old so at that time, it was all forest around here with only about 15 houses. As to fish in the lake, sadly it has been overfished since the population explosion here by kids. I used to be able to catch some nice 12" trout in there. It doesn't get much fresher than that and you can cook in the comfort of your own home.:drool

24. UKARMYCADET

UKARMYCADET Corporal

Wow its great to put a place to the names.

I am LS289EH, My house is the one on the corner with the red car (its the car to the people who lived here before 4 years ago)

Over and Out
    UKARMYCADET

25. bigbazza

Lots of fields there, at that time. Guess they are housing estates now. The red car helps date the age of the maps. As I said, I think they are from around 2002. Bazza

===

26. bigbazza

No, I'm still working through the options. I have lots of pictures of scenery where I live and would like to submit some, also. Bazza

===

27. UKARMYCADET

UKARMYCADET Corporal

nope still fields ^^ there all owned by a local old lady her house is behind mine in the woods. so nobody can build on them.

cya CADET

28. bigbazza

Hope they stay that way for a long time. :cool
    The developers get them eventually unless she donates them to the council with a caveat, or to some environmental organisation. Bazza

===

29. bigbazza

Musksnipe, just checking out Google Earth again, I came across this link underneath each picture. I had missed it before.:eek:

Thumbnail attached. Bazza

===

Attached Files:

30. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

Cool Bazza, going to check it right now.

31. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

I just checked out the site. It is a web album site owned by Google. You can upload pics to Google Earth but there are some qualifications for the pics (size, clarity, copyrighted materials, etc.) Just things you would expect, if they were to be displayed. Also, they are uploaded from the site to Google Earth only once a month.
    A little busy right now, but I am going to upload a few from my area later tonight or tomorrow AM. I'll let you know when they are uploaded to Goggle Earth.
    Thanks for the tip.;)
    And pics of Oz would be cool. Ever been to the Emerald City?LOL

32. bigbazza

Missed that one, musky.:D
    Did visit Emerald, though. A beautiful little town in the Victorian Dandenong ranges. Enter Emerald Victoria in Google Earth and check out the blue dot pictures.

Each year there is a race. The Old steam powered Puffing Billy's with coaches and passengers, versus road runners over a hilly course.
    Not sure of the current score of who is winning, but the steam engines win occasionally. Bazza

===

33. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

Bazza, I finally uploaded some pics to Panoramio. They aren't on Google Earth, yet but if you have an account registered with Panoramio, I think you can view them. I have noticed others that aren't blue dots (just thumbnails) since I have uploaded my pics. I guess i forgot my Lat. and Long. before.
    This is where I live: 43° 13' 52.55" N 86° 12' 49.48" W
    The pics are due west from there, on the Lake Michigan shoreline, near the channel entrance, with one south a short ways down the coast.

34. bigbazza

Thanks for the update, Musky.:cool I'll check 'em out. :) Bazza

===

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds