Win 10 Failed Update

Discussion in 'Software' started by locodave, May 14, 2017.

1. locodave

locodave Corporal

H/P ProDesk 405 G1 MT 6 gig of memory. Sorry for the long post. Struggling as best I know how.

2 days ago KB 4019472 tryed to install. The computer was stuck in the install, then can't install. Undo, restart mode. I would then get a welcome screen with my name for a few seconds. Then the screen would go black with just the cursor working.

Force restart. going into safe mode is a thrill. Went to Software Distribution to delete the update files.

Figured out updates will not install between 8am and 5pm. After 8am the computer boots with a normal screen. Fixed black screen by updating the vidio driver. For HP win 10.

Still keeps downloading the update. Keeps the screen now, but stuck on install, uninstall, reboot. Again and again. Ran the repair for Software Distributing Found and fixed errors.

This morning, the computer is up and running. Thinking yes, until 5pm. I went back and deleted the files in Software Distribution again. Ran the repair again and fixed the same errors.

I found this at Microsoft on a fix. Think it's good to do?

-> https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...1607-for/40ed4d03-5101-4b8c-8ab9-c828810cd42b

And this -> https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Still need to change the legacy on boot menu so I can boot into safe mode with f8. Trying to figure out the best way without having a re-boot.

Thanks for any help.

2. epsonone

epsonone Private First Class

Hi ,You must update your windows 10 to take this big file

3. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

That's exactly what they were trying to do so your comment doesn't really help.

4. epsonone

What will the problem if you up date because I have just up dated and in settings you can turn off some of things that track you

5. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

You have either not actually read that person's post, or more likely you do not understand it. They ALREADY have Windows 10. The update they can't get to complete is a newer one. Their post has nothing to do with features of Windows 10.

6. epsonone

well I had trouble with windows up date [KB4019472] and I was told to use windows 10 program updated it took awhile but now my computer is full up dated no problem now but pain in the backside before

7. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

Your problem (referring to your own thread) had nothing to do with this thread author's problem so you are not helping them.

8. epsonone

Sorry should have read it properly I just done this repair for me and thought stupidly it was the same

9. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

Ok no worries.

10. locodave

locodave Corporal

Thank you Epsosone and Max for giving it a try to help. I am sorry those links in the inital post have an add. In the add there is a link to go to the sights I was asking about.

Screen shot on running the Software Distribution repair tool. With the snip tool. I get the same results on running the tool every time.

upload_2017-5-15_12-17-7.png

The computer worked ok till late evening and thought it was fixed. This morning I see it restarted. The Software Dist file shows KB4015217 on top. KB4019472 just below it and it needs a restart to finish. Time was 8:15 to 9am. Yesterday night I saw the same files and showed installed with no restart required. A little afraid to restart it again. ;).

Why they showed installed without a restart yesterday ( Checked a few times during the day and eve. ) Then show they need a restart this morning.

I have stopped windows defender a few days a go thinking it might see the files as a virus. I changed the legacy on boot menu so I can boot into safe mode with f8. Haven't tryed it yet. Thinking I need to download the files manually from microsoft and install them one by one. Try it that way.

11. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

I would try running sfc /scannow
    in administrative command prompt (right click start - click command prompt (admin), and type in sfc /scannow at the prompting cursor, and let it check through.
    As it keeps showing faults, it could lso be worth running CHKDSK /R , again in command prompt(Admin) in case you have a fault on the hard drive.

Last edited: May 15, 2017
  12. locodave

locodave Corporal

I have run them a few times the past few days. I'll try again now. I didn't want to post a book on what I have try'd since this all began. I made a recovery disk, Win10 64 bit repair disk when I 1st had the update for Win 10 from Win7.

You name a F key and I've try'd it. Safe Mode. Trying to learn how to do things since my 1st computer with 3.1. Every operating system upgrade since then. New things to learn. Guess this is another one to learn. I see others had the same prob on black screen with cursor and failed updates.

I haven't try'd to rename Software Dist, thru CDM as in old. -> Yet.

In addmin prompt. I see it shows C:\WINDOWS\system32> I'm wondering why it dosen't show system 64> as this is a 64 bit system. Running sfc/scannow

Last edited: May 15, 2017
  13. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

It shows that whether your system is 32 bit or 64 bit. It isn't an error.

14. locodave

locodave Corporal

Thank you Max. sfc/scannow didn't show any probs. CHKDSK /R will run on the next startup. If it finds anything, and fixes. The update might be ok.

15. locodave

locodave Corporal

Using my phone to log in I restarted it yesterday during the day and nothing but problems since so here we go again check repair ran didn't help anything and I'm back to the black screen with the cursor

16. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Assuming you got back to where you were before the update last failed...............
    I reckon your best way to get this updated is to follow the instructions on this site
    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...s-update/617a37da-8fc0-4f33-a3eb-59fe9082f925

Read down this link

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...so-files/35cde7ec-5b6f-481c-a02d-dadf465df326

Download the iso, and media tool- https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
    Use the second method to create it https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/sof...s10?d2784474-fdb0-4e9d-9e47-5e88c0e053ec=True

Then install the latest update "Creators version"

17. locodave

locodave Corporal

Thank you Baklogic, Think I will go with the Creators version. Or buy another video card and see if that works.

Been struggling for days now. Figured out how to boot to safe mode easyer? Shut off, re-set bios. Re-start, press F2. F1 boot, Then F2 again. H/P repair shows up, exit. F2 then shows what windows to boot to, chose Win10. Enter. Then F8 shows choices. For boot modes. Shift on boot dosen't work. Joy O joy.

Trying to do things in safe mode before I get outta safe to see if they helped. So far no good.

I'm on my win X/P computer that shares the same monitor with the Win10 computer. Shut one off, boot the other up with 2 seperate cables. Have to install my printer on XP to print out everything on the links on how to do.

After I installe the up-grade to Win 10. I made a H/P repair and recovery disk. Know how to get them running. Trouble is. I chose recovery, it want to do a clean install. Repair wants to give me a choice to repair. Save files. Not programs, or don't save files on a clean install. I printed out Belarc advisor and see my inital Win 7 Pro now shows a Win 8.1 Pro 64 bit installed. On this Win 10 computer. So, wondering if it's going to repair win 8.1 or win10? Nuts.

Still wondering if it goes to recovery, will it recover to Win 10 or Win original 7 or Win8 the Belarc shows?

Hope I can use win XP to download the Creators version to a disk, and make a boot USB to use on the Win10 computer.

I'll let you know how it turns out.

Last edited: May 20, 2017
  18. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

@locodave,

You've got to be running Windows 10 to get the Creator's Edition (not XP) and use the Upgrade Assistant. It will be a 3 GB+ download and install over your current Windows 10. You'll have a Windows.old folder that you can use to restore your system if you have problems with the Creator's Edition.

19. locodave

locodave Corporal

Your right. The only thing I can get in XP is the ISO file. Not the media creation tool. That needs a Win 7 or later. Daughter-in-law has a Win 7 I can use if needed. All else fails.

-> https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10ISO

I did find this. -> https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3073930

I like it. Run the program I have Version 1607.

I downloaded it, un-zip'd it. Have the file. Put a C/D in the C/D DVD player and guess what? Sent to shows a floppy on choices and not the C/D DVD player that shows up in my computer. I can play a C/D or DVD. Hunt around and see I never put a burner program in it. Go figure. I seem the remember I can do it thru windows. But. Found some old programs that work with XP. . Cyberlink Power DVD and Nero Burning Rom. Been a while since I used them. Going to load both and what ever one seems easyer to burn the file to a C/D will be the one I will use.

Make the disk and see if it will help on getting the bugs out on restarting my Win 10.

20. locodave

locodave Corporal

I have a Q. Win10 would not let me sign in. I had to chose ignore, If I chose log in, the computer shuts down and re-boots to the lets keep doing the install-can't and reboot.

Another prob, I have registry corruption probs. Can't fix it in safe mode or other ways I try'd.

I looked at MSN sight to download a tool. Should I chose the 1607 or the 1511? I have the 1607 now. The 1511 is the Creators edition up-date.

Wanted to run it 1st. Before I try to install the new version.

-> https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...driver-update-from-reinstalling-in-windows-10

21. locodave

locodave Corporal

By the by. Should of posted this 1st. Every time I chose safe mode. I could not get into with networking. 1st bought the computer. It had a wireless board to connect to my network. And a M/B Lan thru a Cat cable. I'm in there now, have both the up-dates. Media Creation tool and Windows10Upgrade 9252.exe And what should I run 1st on creating a DVD?

It would not connect thru the cat so I just went to wireless. Key code in good to go. In safe mode, with networking. Never connected.

For giggles, I took the cat cable off my XP and plugged it into the Win 10 plug. I have networking in safe mode now. ;). Dang cable was bad.

Should I chose to down load the 1607 or 1511 1st to correct the problem driver in 1607?

-> https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...driver-update-from-reinstalling-in-windows-10

22. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

If you are doing a clean install-don't worry about the driver- If doing as an update, then sort the driver out first.
    You can update any drivers after the new install, if needed- Windows 10 is very good with drivers, and the creator version has proved to be even better with drivers than 1607

23. mdonah

1607 is what you've got installed so make that DVD. The Creator's Edition is version 1703, build 15063.296. I'm posting this with it now.

24. locodave

locodave Corporal

Finally got the lap-top from my daughter-in-law. she hasen't used it for a long time. It needed every update from the past 10months.

It,thru windows update.down loaded Win 10. Hers had win 7 on it. Belarc Advisor shows Win 8.1 now. Up-date said thanks for installing Win 10. The Desktop still shows win 7. Hmm? I let every up-date install from MSN run, on many re-starts. Do it's thing.

I downloaded the Media Creation Tool and Windows 10 Upgrade 9252 .exe.

I do not have a USB 5gig or larger. Might need to buy some. I do have C/D's, 4.7gig DVD's and dual layer DVD's. I want to try doing it on what I have at home now.

Where I am at now. Media Creation tool has a choice. 32 or 64 bit. Or both. Both will not fit a DVD-> 4.7gig. On using it on another computer. I am going to create 2 disks. On with the 32 and one with the 64bit. I don't know what to use on my computer.

It's a 64bit op-system. Think thats the one to use. Back to the Q. -> In addmin prompt. I see it shows C:\WINDOWS\system32> I'm wondering why it dosen't show system 64> as this is a 64 bit system. And wonder on her computer. I needed to run the MCTool 1st and the up-dated Windows upgrade file 2nd so she shows Win 10 instead of the Win 7 screen on boot up. ( Do it again on up-grade. )

Next Q. I explored both downloads. Used a un-zip program. On the MCTool. I am downloading thru the internet. The 64bit tool.

On the un-zip for Win10 Upgrade 9252 . lots of files that included the ISO. When I tryed to burn the whole file on my Dual Layer DVD. It wanted to format the DVD to a ISO file. Tryed and said it could not format. Trying to figure out what I am doing wrong.

Should I just try to chose the ISO file and format to NTFS?

Or before I start. Insert the dual layer and format it to NTFS?

I want a boot-able Win 10 up-grade disk and MCTool when done. Been a long time since I had to deal with ISO files.

Last edited: May 25, 2017
  25. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

You install the tool on the laptop,-- and then use windows explorer as the file opening option to burn the iso to the dvd- The ISO is around 3.5 Gb -this gives you the bootable dvd to install/re-install w10 creators version
    If you want to copy the tool to dvd that will have to done separately.

26. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

Using a USB pen drive is automatically bootable. Only a DVD needs burning separately.

27. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Stick to x64 as that is your original (better anyway-)
    As Max said, if you have a usb stick large enough, without having to purchase more, like you said.

28. mdonah

The Windows 10 Media Creation Tool is not the same as the Windows 10 Upgrade Assistant (at version 28085) — which installs the Creator's Edition (version 1703) over version 1607. It also creates a Windows.old folder which you would use if you have problems with version 1703 to roll back to version 1607.

I, myself, am now getting odd behavior from version 1703 (like getting the "Getting Windows Ready — Don't turn off your computer" screen every time I reboot from Windows 10 even though no updates were installed.

29. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

No one said it was.
    They are totally different tools.

30. locodave

locodave Corporal

It didn't work. I've seemed to have lost some controllers for the cd/dvd. ( Still works ok but error messages.) When I try to use the new Win 10 disk. It asks for the missing file.

I think it's a HP driver prob. I downloaded every driver I need from the HP sight. Need to burn to a disk. Try again.

It won't let me sign in when I go to safe mode.

31. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

Use a USB STICK on that win 7 system, you get a bootable image and you dont need to burn anything or use the CD/DVD drive. A USB stick with 6GBs of space is actually dirt cheap and is so much less complicated than what you are trying to do.

32. locodave

locodave Corporal

Gotta love holiday sales. Just bought 2 PYN 32 gig USB 2.0-3.0 compatible sticks for 30 bucks.

I formatted both, Sent the Win 10 download to the USB. Not working so far. Used the disk to run the installation media. USB installed. I changed the boot order in bios to do the USB 1st. Still got the need files for the C/D-DVD rom. I wonder if I send the Media Creation tool along with the Win 10 Enterprise edition on the USB. Have both there. Might work?

The bios won't boot the the USB Win 10 Enterprise 1st. Don't know why.

Have to figure out how to make the USB boot-able. Then mount it. I used the other USB to sent all the H/P downloads to it. Around 20 files. If I get the error message. I can explore on choice, what it needs. Then use the disk.

mdonah, R/click on the windows logo,lower left. Chose file explorer. Look in Software Distribution folder. See what it says there on re-start. files downloaded. Seem to remember. You might have to rename it to .old. Replaces it with a new folder. That file might be corrupted. Hope it helps.

Last edited: May 27, 2017
  33. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

I haven't been following this thread so not sure about all that's been said previously, but this is nonsense. If you download the Media Creation Tool directly to a USB pen drive it is automatically bootable and will install Win 10 for you. You aren't being clear about exactly what it is you are downloading, but it has to be the Media Creation Tool, not something else.

34. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

Windows downloaded to a USB drive is ALWAYS bootable. That's been posted about 3 times. It's only when using a DVD that it needs to be made bootable.

35. locodave

locodave Corporal

I also got ticked off yesterday on efforts. I have the restore disks from H/P for restoring to factory spect's.Win 7 and 8.1.

For giggles. I tryed 8.1 1st then 7. Got the error message that the MBR is locked. Thought. get the SOB back to Win 8.1 or 7. And deal with the win 10 upgrade after. Thought about formatting C: drive. But, Thought. Try my inital efforts 1st with USB.

If the dang thing is toast. Revert with we-ha. Start fresh. I did save all my pictures using 3 disks from Picasa. Wish I would of saved my favorites folder. O well. I can get them back from my XP computer. Mostly,not the newer ones. But most all of them.

36. locodave

locodave Corporal

Earthling, Are you saying to download the Media creation tool send to the USB, yup bootable. I should also send the win 10 enterprise ISO to it? Have both on the same USB?

37. Earthling

Do you even read what's being posted?

MaxTurner likes this.
  38. locodave

locodave Corporal

Max, it is not booting for the Win 10, USB drive.

39. locodave

locodave Corporal

Max, it is not booting for the Win 10 up-date, on the USB drive.

40. Earthling

That's all you have to do. It sets up Win 10 for you.

41. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

Then you have not downloaded it fully and correctly. If you have used the Media Creation Tool, then selected the correct version/edition of windows and set it to download to the USB drive it IS bootable. But you must wait till it says the download is FULLY completed, and that USB key needs to have sufficient free space

42. locodave

locodave Corporal

Max, it is not booting for the Win 10 up-date, on the USB drive.

43. locodave

locodave Corporal

Earthling, I do have the bootable tool. Works. It's when I want to use the Win 10 up-date disk or USB . That won't work. I tryed to use just the Win 10 up-date on a re-boot. would not do it.

44. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

It's not an update you're doing is it? I thought you were doing a clean fresh reinstall of the whole OS.

45. locodave

locodave Corporal

Yup, an update to the enterprise edition. From the anniversary edition.

After all the struggles. If able. I'm going to do a clean install.

46. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

There is no such upgrade.
    You do a fresh reinstall of the Windows 10 version you have a licence for, then - if you wish - you either manually update it to the Creator's update via the Windows Upgrade Assistant, or you wait for it to be offered to you via Windows Update.
    You CANNOT do a fresh reinstall of Windows 10 that automatically includes the Creator's update.
    That was pointed out several posts ago.

It's simple:
    1. Reinstall Windows 10
    2. Choose to manually update that reinstall to Creator's but only AFTER point 1 above.

47. locodave

locodave Corporal

I did have the option to install the creatror's update. I see what you say. Have to hunt how to do a re-install what I have.

Inital up-grade to win10. From win 7. I did make disks for repair and restore. they do not work.

48. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

It's very simple.
    The Media Creation Tool allows you to choose the exact version of Windows 10 that you currently have. You save that download to a USB drive. You then plug that into your system and just let it install Windows as if it is NEW.
    When that is FULLY complete if you want the Creator's Update, you simply go the MS link to the Windows Upgrade Assistant and it will guide you through update your NEW install of Windows to that Creator's update.

49. locodave

locodave Corporal

Not so. Runs the Media Creation tool from the DVD. stops. Change out the disk for Win 10 Enterprise.Then wants the disk for the Win 10 Enterprise. This computer is screwed up as I never got to download the Win 10 enterprise to it.

In safe mode,it will not log me in. When win 10 re-boots, all I get is a black screen with a movable cursor.

Last edited: May 27, 2017
  50. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

It is so because I have done it multiple times on systems I help maintain.
    You use a DIFFERENT computer, you install the Media Creation Tool on that other computer, then you run it and select your Windows version (on the currently dead system), set it to download it to a USB key drive. Take the USB drive to the dead system and it will run and install windows afresh. It is as simple as A B C.

Something is making you totally confused. FORGET the Creator's update of Windows 10 - that is for AFTER and not now.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds