Win7 won't start

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Leashy, Feb 3, 2012.

1. Leashy

Leashy Private First Class

I was on facebook and my browser closed, and windows shut down. When it restarted, I get Startup Repair is checking your system for problems. When it's done checking, it restarts again and does the same thing over and over. Please help!

It's a toshiba laptop with windows 7, that's all I know and I can't access anything.

Sorry if this is in the wrong place... didn't know where to put it. I'll try to type out what the report says on this computer when it's done the next time.

2. Leashy

It says...

Number of repair attempts 1

System disk = \device\harddisk0
    Windows directory =C:\windows
    Autochk Run = 0
    Number of root causes = 1

Test Performs:

Name: Check for updates
    Result: Completed successfully. Error code 0x0
    Time taken = 0 ms

Test performed:

Name: Disk failure diagnosis
    Result: Completed successfully. Error code = 0x0
    Time taken = 16 ms

Test performed:

Name: Disk metadata test
    Result: Completed successfully. Error = 0x0
    Time taken = 16ms

Test performed:

Name: Target OS test
    Time Taken = 140ms

Test performed:

Name: Volume content check
    Time taken 172ms

Test performed:

Name: Boot manager diagnosis
    Time taken = 0 ms

Test performed:

Name: System boot log diagnosis
    Time Taken = 0 ms

Root cause found
    Boot manager failed to find OS loader
    Repair action: file repair
    Result: Failed. Error code = 0x490
    Time taken = 6037ms

Repair action: Boot configuration data store repair
    Result: failed. Error code = 0x490
    Time taken = 156 ms

Repair action: System Restore
    Time taken = 124863 ms

I have no idea what any of this means. Please tell me I am not screwed! Thanks :)

3. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

When it first goes into the automatic repair does it show the drive letter for your Windows in the little box?
    [​IMG]
    When it finishes the automatic repair do you go back to the box/window where it has two buttons one for "Drivers" and one for "Next"? If so hit the Next button and then select Startup Repair from the list of five options. When it is finished reboot and see if any difference.

Edit: It looks like it completed a System Restore so see if it reboots normally before doing the above. No harm in doing the above either way.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2012
  4. Leashy

No. At the bottom of the of the black screen is says Loading Windows files or something like that and then right to the Startup Repair is checking your system for problems. There's nothing to click besides cancel and if I click that it says that action can't be taken.

5. sach2

After it finishes the checking for problems does it automatically reboot without giving you a chance to choose "advanced options"?

6. Leashy

I took a pic with my phone, sorry it's so crappy.

This is what it looks like after it's done. When I click finish it just does the whole thing again and gives me the same report as posted above.

Attached Files:

7. sach2

And the repair details just gives you the list you typed but no further option to go to advanced tools.

First it looks like it is a problem with the boot loader. That should be fixable either with a manual startup repair or at the command prompt which should be available somewhere. I'm used to getting there from a recovery environment CD which shows these screens (we're looking for the screen in step #6 under Option 2) http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/668-system-recovery-options.html

Try tapping F8 repeatedly during the Toshiba screen and see if you get a Safe/Advanced mode screen. From there try Repair Computer option. And see if you get the box like above with the load drivers and Next button to take you to the list of 5 options by hitting Next. From there try the Startup Repair option.

8. Leashy

It will restart automatically in 30 seconds if i don't click for diagnostic and repair details

9. Leashy

Tapping or holding in f8 doesn't do anything. On the toshiba screen it says hit f2 for something or f12 for boot manager. I am able to get to the boot manager. Will that help? Should I try the f8 again?

I got no disks with this computer when I bought it. Is there somewhere to DL to a cd-r or something?

10. sach2

You want to hit F8 towards the end of the Toshiba screen. Hit it a few times just as the Toshiba screen is going to end and before the recovery bit begins.

Do you know if the laptop is running 32bit or 64 bit Win7? If not give the model number from the tag on the bottom and I'll look up the specs. I'll try to find a link to the RE CD.

11. Leashy

I think it is 64, but not sure. It is a Toshiba Satellite L650-S5066

I will keep trying the f8.

12. Leashy

The f8 won't work. While still tapping, it goes to a black screen with a bar at the bottom that says Loading Windows files and then starts the Repair process. I've tried tapping through the whole Toshiba screen and just at the end of it. Still can get into the setup and boot manager, but that's it.

Thank you so much for helping me! You are a saint!

13. sach2

That should be running x64 Win7.

Try booting to the RE disc and see if you can get to the 5 options and select the manual Startup Repair. Then reboot to see if it helps. If not we can rebuild the boot loader manually in command prompt.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2012
  14. Leashy

So after I burn that to a disc, do I have to use the boot manager and choose the cd/dvd option? Or by putting the disc into the drive should prompt it to start from there?

15. Leashy

Ok! I got to a screen that says System recovery options.

Use recovery tools that can help fix problems starting windows, select an operating system to repair. Windows 7 is listed.

Or restore your computer using a system image that you created earlier.

At the bottom says Load Drivers or Next.

16. sach2

It should start automatically but if not hit F12 during the Toshiba screen and choose CD as the boot device.

Then it should go through the screens of Option 2 from this link http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/668-system-recovery-options.html

In step 5 it should show a drive letter for your Windows 7 installation. Tell me if it doesn't. Then in screen 6 you will select Startup Repair. When it is done try to reboot without CD and see if any change. If not and it does the automatic repair again, reboot one more time to verify that it goes back to the automatic repair.

Then we know no combination of automatic and manual startup repairs will work and can rebuild the boot loader manually.

Basically using the first answer from here but skipping the bootrec /fixmbr command.

Edit: Good! So click Next and then you will see the list of 5 options, you will select Startup Repair. When it is done try to reboot without CD and see if any change. If not and it does the automatic repair again, reboot one more time to verify that it goes back to the automatic repair.

17. Leashy

I'm sorry... I was with ya all the way to the last post, but now I'm stuck.

I selected the startup repair and let it restart without the cd and it did the same thing again, and once more. I started with the cd again and went to the command prompt and typed bootrec.exe and hit enter. And it listed commands that are supported.

I'm lost now.

18. sach2

Hold on. Let me test out he commands I listed and see what the screens show. Give me a few minutes.

You can go ahead and try these commands to see if they all execute without an error in the meantime. They are just backing up your current boot files.

bcdedit /export C:\BCD_Backup
    c:
    cd boot
    attrib bcd -s -h -r
    ren c:\boot\bcd bcd.old

19. Leashy

When I typed attrib bcd -s -h -r it said file not found - bcd

20. sach2

One of the Malware Fighters is going to jump in and take a look at this thread. He has more experience with BCD commands.

It can't hurt to make sure you have the syntax right on that command. It should be
    attrib(space)bcd(space)-s(space)-h(space)-r

Edit: And just to be sure the file isn't missing, your prompt should now look like C:\boot> and if you type the command dir do you see BCD in the results?

21. Leashy

Thanks so much!

I pasted the commands in notepad so I could see the proper spacing and did it again and got the same result. It is a dash or minus sign, right?

22. thisisu

thisisu Malware Consultant

Thank you sach2. You're doing a good job. I just want to check to see if it is something malware related. I'm hoping the following tool will give us a bit more insight on why Leashy is unable to boot.

Hi Leashy,
    Please complete the below whenever you get the chance:

[​IMG] For 32 (x86) bit systems download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to a flash drive.
    For 64 (x64) bit systems download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool x64 and save it to a flash drive.

Plug the flashdrive into the PC with the boot problem.

Enter System Recovery Options.

To enter System Recovery Options from the Advanced Boot Options:
    • Restart the computer.
    • As soon as the BIOS is loaded begin tapping the F8 key until Advanced Boot Options appears.
    • Use the arrow keys to select the Repair your computer menu item.
    • Choose your language settings, and then click Next.
    • Select the operating system you want to repair, and then click Next.
    • Select your user account and click Next.

To enter System Recovery Options by using Windows installation disc:

• Insert the installation disc.
    • Restart your computer.
    • If prompted, press any key to start Windows from the installation disc. If your computer is not configured to start from a CD or DVD, check your BIOS settings.
    • Click Repair your computer.
    • Choose your language settings, and then click Next.
    • Select the operating system you want to repair, and then click Next.
    • Select your user account an click Next.
    On the System Recovery Options menu you will get the following options:

• Startup Repair
    • System Restore
    • Windows Complete PC Restore
    • Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool
    • Command Prompt
    Select Command Prompt
    In the command window type in notepad and press Enter.
    The notepad opens. Under File menu select Open.
    Select "Computer" and find your flash drive letter and close the notepad.
    In the command window type e:\frst.exe (for x64 bit version type e:\frst64) and press Enter
    Note: Replace letter e with the drive letter of your flash drive.
    The tool will start to run.
    When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
    Press Scan button.
    It will make a log (FRST.txt) on the flash drive. Please attach this log to your next reply. (How to attach)

23. Leashy

Am I keeping the disc I just made in when I plug in the flash drive?

24. thisisu

Yes. Boot from the disc again please.

25. Leashy

The farbar recovery scan tool opened but it says the tool is setting up itself to read Local Disk for a few minutes now. Is that normal?

26. thisisu

No that's not something I've heard of before. Can you take a screenshot? Or try closing FRST and then launching it again from Command Prompt?

Do you know if you have a 32 bit or 64 bit OS?

27. Leashy

I did not have an option to select yes for disclaimer or scan but it said Done and did not make a log file.

28. Leashy

Sach said I had 64, and I thought I did.

I will try it again.

29. Leashy

I do not know what the issue was, but the first time I did it, it said the letter for the flash was C, and the next time I did it, it was Y and now it works.

30. thisisu

Great, and you're using FRST64 right?

31. Leashy

Yep, I am!

Here's the log!

Attached Files:

32. thisisu

We may only get one chance at this.
    There are 3 malware related files but these are very minor traces and would not be causing a boot issue.

NOTICE: This script was written specifically for this user, for use on that particular machine. Running this on another machine may cause damage to your operating system

Attached is fixlist.txt
    • Save fixlist.txt to your flash drive.
    • You should now have both fixlist.txt and FRST64.exe on your flash drive.

Now re-enter System Recovery Options.
    Run FRST64 and press the Fix button just once and wait.
    The tool will make a log on the flashdrive (Fixlog.txt).
    Please attach this to your next message. (How to attach)

Now attempt to boot normally.

Attached Files:

33. Leashy

Here it is.

Attached Files:

34. Leashy

Still getting the same Startup repair screen.

35. thisisu

Try this one:

NOTICE: This script was written specifically for this user, for use on that particular machine. Running this on another machine may cause damage to your operating system

Attached is fixlist.txt
    • Delete your previous fixlist.txt from your flash drive.
    • Save this new fixlist.txt to your flash drive.
    • You should now have both fixlist.txt and FRST64.exe on your flash drive.

Now re-enter System Recovery Options.
    Run FRST64 and press the Fix button just once and wait.
    The tool will make a log on the flashdrive (Fixlog.txt).
    Please attach this to your next message. (How to attach)

Now attempt to boot normally.

If this does not work, also provide a NEW FRST.txt log.

Attached Files:

36. Leashy

Here is the next fixlog

Attached Files:

37. Leashy

Here's the next frst log.

Attached Files:

38. Leashy

I just saw your edit. I do not see bcd in the list. Pic from cell phone.

Attached Files:

39. sach2

It seems to be missing from C: but you also appear to have a separate system boot partition which may have the BCD file. I don't want to interfere with what you and Thisisu are doing. I'd advise waiting a bit longer to see what Thisisu has in mind with the fixlist commands you guys are working on.

Your boot problem definitely looks fixable but if there is malware involved a quick fix is not the best way to go. :)

40. Leashy

Thanks to both of you for working on this for me. I really don't know what I would do without your help.

I'm glad to hear that it seems fixable. Do you have any idea how this happened? I've read some articles online that seem to think it has to do with Windows 7 updates. Is that possible or do you think it is strictly malware related?

41. thisisu

This is the same fixlog as before. Update your fixlist.txt with the one in post #35 and then run the Fix again. Just to be safe, delete your old fixlog.txt before hand.

42. Leashy

I think this is the right one now.

Attached Files:

43. thisisu

This does not appear to be malware related anymore. My best guess is that there is some data corruption on the C: drive.

Code:
    =========  bootrec /fixboot =========

ÿþT h e   v o l u m e   d o e s   n o t   c o n t a i n   a   r e c o g n i z e d   f i l e   s y s t e m . 

P l e a s e   m a k e   s u r e   t h a t   a l l   r e q u i r e d   f i l e   s y s t e m   d r i v e r s   a r e   l o a d e d   a n d   t h a t   t h e   v o l u m e   i s   n o t   c o r r u p t e d . 

========= End of CMD: =========
    You could try running the following command while at the Command Prompt window: chkdsk c: /r

Let us know if this completes all 5 stages successfully. You will be presented to type in another command if it does finish successfully.

You should try rebooting normally first, if you notice you are still redirected to startup repair, you can try this command afterwards: sfc /scannow/offbootdir=c:\ /offwindir=c:\windows

44. Leashy

What command are you referring to? Will it tell me? Or you meant the second one you listed? Sorry, it's been a long night. :-o

45. thisisu

No that's my fault, I should have been more clear.

What I meant was, that after you type in chkdsk c: /r
    This process typically takes over an hour to complete depending on the size of your hard drive.
    But once it does finish, you will be presented with the results of chkdsk c: /r

Looks somewhat like the below picture:
    [​IMG]

Afterwards, you should attempt to reboot normally.

46. Leashy

It is on stage 4 of 5 now. Will update as soon as it's done. Thanks! :)

47. Leashy

Here's a pic of the result. It still goes to Startup Repair when trying to boot without the disc. I will go onto the next thing you said to try.

Attached Files:

48. Leashy

I did this command sfc /scannow/offbootdir=c:\ /offwindir=c:\windows

But don't know what to do from here.

49. thisisu

Sorry, that was a syntax error in that command, try this one:

sfc /scannow /offbootdir=c:\ /offwindir=c:\windows

If successful, it will say : Beginning system scan. This process will take some time.

[​IMG]

50. Leashy

No problem! :)

It says beginning system scan.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds