Win7 won't start

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Leashy, Feb 3, 2012.

1. thisisu

thisisu Malware Consultant

;)

When it finishes, depending if it finds errors or not the output will be different.
    In my case there were no errors found so I received the below:

[​IMG]

2. thisisu

Afterwards, if that still does not work, you can try this command:

• bootrec /fixboot
    Let me know what output you receive this time.

3. Leashy

Leashy Private First Class

I got the same output you did... Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.

4. Leashy

Trying this now.

5. Leashy

This can't be good.

It says The volume does not contain a recognized file system. Please make sure that all required file system drivers are loaded and that the volume is not corrupted.

6. thisisu

A few more commands to try:

• bootrec /fixmbr
    • bootrec /rebuildbcd

Let me know the output of each.

7. Leashy

Did the first one and it said the operation completed successfully.
    Next one says Successfully scanned Windows installations. Total identified Windows installations: 0
    The operation completed successfully.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2012
  8. thisisu

Can you attach a new FRST.txt for me ?

9. Leashy

Here you are.

Attached Files:

10. Leashy

I really don't get why it says zero windows installations. I can see all the stuff on my desktop in that log so I haven't run out of hope yet!

11. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

Take just a minute and at the prompt type each of the following commands and at the detail partition commands look at the output for the line Active. Tell me which partition has Active status of Yes. When you get to the partition with active status of Yes, just skip the rest of the commands and jump to exit command to quit diskpart.
    diskpart
    select disk 0
    select partition 1
    detail partition
    select partition 2
    detail partition
    select partition 3
    detail partition
    exit

12. Leashy

Partition 1 says active yes

13. sach2

There may be something wrong in the not identifying a Windows installation but I believe it could do it before so let's just try this imperfect way of rewriting the boot files and see if it does anything. We can reset partition 1 active if no change.

Go back to diskpart and type the following commands:

diskpart
    select disk 0
    select partition 2
    active
    exit

Now restart from the CD and let it do the automatic repair. Does it show your Win7 drive letter in the window?
    If it shows the drive letter and does the automatic repair then reboot to the CD and go to the list of 5 options and select Startup Repair and let it run.
    Try to boot without the CD and see if any change. (The combo should try to put BCD on C: drive)

14. thisisu

Code:
    Windows Boot Loader
    -------------------
    identifier              [B][COLOR="Red"]{default}[/COLOR][/B]
    device                  partition=C:
    path                    \windows\system32\winload.exe
    description             Windows 7
    locale                  en-US
    inherit                 {bootloadersettings}
    recoverysequence        {e8937b1f-6f91-11df-837e-b6bdd7c72138}
    recoveryenabled         Yes
    osdevice                partition=C:
    systemroot              \windows
    resumeobject            {e8937b1d-6f91-11df-837e-b6bdd7c72138}
    nx                      OptIn
    winpe                   No
    This is what is perplexing me. I thought the identifier should be {e8937b1f-6f91-11df-837e-b6bdd7c72138} instead of {default}.

I will keep researching in the meantime. Keep up the good work sach2 :)

15. Leashy

I did those commands and it said partition 2 was active. I restarted it with the cd and and it said there was a problem (I saw no drive or windows installations because something popped up) I clicked repair and restart and it started but I was not able to hit f12 in time so it started normally. It's asking for my windows password.

16. Leashy

Does that mean it worked? I'm scared to enter my password :-D

17. sach2

Sign in. QUICK while the getting is good!

18. thisisu

Good job sach2 ;)

19. Leashy

It works!!!! Is there anything else I have to do to it?

You guys are awesome! Both of you!!! Thank you so much!!

20. sach2

I'm wondering if there is corruption on partition 1. I'd do a check of that and let us know what chkdsk reports. (What we have done will work fine but I'm curious why the usual small system reserved partition was reporting an error on the file system and want to know if chkdsk can fix it. You don't have to do it now but it is a small partition so it shouldn't take very long.)

Go to Start and type disk management in the Search box and hit <enter>.
    In the window that opens you will see a graph with three partitions. The first one should be 1.5gb. Right -click it and select Change Drive letters and Paths. Click the Add button. In the dropdown box choose the letter V:. And hit OK.

Now go to Computer and right-click drive V: and select Properties. Under the Tools tab select Error Checking. Tick both boxes and hit the Check Now button. It may say it has to dismount so say OK. Read through the results and see if it found any errors or files in bad sectors.

When done you can go back to disk management and right click the V: drive and Change Drive letters and paths and click the Remove button to remove the drive letter so the drive no longer shows in Computer.

21. Leashy

When I right click on the first one (1.46GB?) it just says Help, there is no menu to choose change drive letters and paths. If I right click the third one (2.86.55GB) I can see the menu you're talking about.

22. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

To illustrate some of the ways Dell have used for their recovery partitions, take a read of this.

I really don't know how the Toshiba version(s) might work but from the little I've had time to read in this thread, it might be just as complex as Dell.

Well done to all concerned for persevering and getting Windows back up on this (but don't expect the Recovery to work from the 0 key or whatever the shortcut on this one might be).

23. sach2

Up at the top where it gives details about the partitions in text what does it say under File System and Status columns for that V: partition.

24. Leashy

The first one the File System says nothing and Status says Healthy (recovery partition).

25. thisisu

Leashy,

If you don't mind, I would like you to run the attached .bat file so I can learn what was changed in the BCD that made the system boot.

• Attached is enum.zip
    • Inside enum.zip is enum.bat
    • Extract enum.bat to your desktop.
    • Then right mouse click it and choose "Run as Administrator".
    • A black DOS window will open and close quickly.
    • Afterwards, there should be a enum.txt file on your desktop.
    • Can you attach this text file for review?
    • Thanks!

Attached Files:

• enum.zip
      File size:
      213 bytes
      Views:
  26. sach2

It is up to you if you want to take a break from this for the night but it looks like that partition is damaged. You will probably want to try a recovery to see if you can get it working again.

You'd have to use a partition software like Partition Wizard or TestDisk to see if it could find the old NTFS file system records for that partition. If you've had enough for today that is fine, you can post back when you have a bit of time.

27. Leashy

Here you are.

Attached Files:

28. Leashy

Could doing that possibly make it not work again? I don't really understand the whole partition thing and don't want to screw anything up. I will probably have some time tomorrow but I have to use this laptop to work on Monday so I'm kinda nervous. :-o

29. sach2

No hurry.

What we did was write an extra set of boot files to the C: partition. You are now booting directly to the C: partition which is fine and should work fine indefinitely. In fact it is a custom option when first installing Win7.

Normally, in Win7 the boot files are kept on a separate small hidden partition (in your case the 1.46gb partition). This is done as a safety measure so that you can not inadvertently delete or alter them.

When your computer shut down unexpectedly that small partition's file system was damaged so you couldn't boot. It doesn't look like Windows can do anything to fix the problem. We would try to fix the problem using a third party software and then set the computer to begin using that small partition as the boot partition again. It is just a matter of setting things to a standard configuration. It is not necessary and totally optional. Because you have a fresh set of the files on C: as well as a copy on the recovery CD you don't need to repair that partition but I just like to put things back the way they were.

Take a few days break and consider it then. There should be very little risk (there is always some risk when working with partitions) and we can evaluate the contents of the partition to see if recovery is even necessary. If there are no special Toshiba utilities on that partition we can skip recovery and just write an extra set of standard boot files to it. Or do nothing. Like I said take a few days away from it. It will work fine the way it is.

30. Leashy

Thank you for explaining it. I will check back and probably shoot for Thursday or Friday. ♥

31. Leashy

Thisisu, did you get the enum text file? Just wondering. :)

32. sach2

Hi,

I'm just wondering if diskpart sees a file system on that 1.46gb partition. I know I said forget about it for a while but I just want to know so I can think about the options. If you don't mind run a quick diskpart and see if it lists NTFS under the FS header for that 1.46gb volume.

At the Start/Orb type diskpart in the search box and hit <enter>.
    Then type list volume at the diskpart> prompt.

One of the volumes should be 1500mb or 1.5gb does it say NTFS under the FS column for that volume #?

33. Leashy

Yes, it says NTFS for volume 1 and 2.

34. sach2

And volume 1 has no drive letter but is about 1.5gb?

And is volume 3 NTFS or not? Is volume 3, 10gb?

35. Leashy

I can't check because it did it again. :( Same exact thing happened. It shut down and when it restarted, got the startup repair screen.

36. Leashy

I do remember volume 1 and 2 said NTFS. I don't think there was a 3, there was a zero, 1 and 2. I think :-o

37. sach2

See if the automatic repair works without the CD.
    Were you doing anything when it shutdown or still in your browser?

38. Leashy

No it didn't. It's doing the same thing again. It said failed to find OS loader.

Just on here and facebook in another browser.

39. sach2

It sounds like either a HD or RAM problem is causing the shutdowns. Most likely HD.

Start from the CD and see if the automatic Startup repair finds any problems and can fix them.

Then go to the command prompt and verify that partition 2 is still active after the detail partition command.
    diskpart
    select disk 0
    select partition 2
    detail partition
    exit

40. Leashy

Startup repair from the cd didn't work.

41. Leashy

Says yes on the active line for partition 2.

42. sach2

Run a chkdsk C: /r from the command prompt . In the results look for any "files in bad sectors". Let me know if it finds any.

Have you tried startup repair from the list of five options, if not try that after the chkdsk.

43. thisisu

Yes I did, thank you.

44. Leashy

Yes I tried the startup repair from the disk before checking the active partition.

Doing the check disk now. On stage 4. I'll check back with ya in an hour or so... I think it took that long yesterday. Thank you for sticking with me.

45. sach2

OK, it is rather frustrating. I don't understand why you are getting the same error when you are trying to boot off a different partition than yesterday. The new set of boot files should have avoided that even with a shutdown.

Did stage 1,2 or 3 show any "fixing of descriptors" or anything mention of finding/fixing anything?

46. Leashy

Is this why you think it is the HD?

It is 83% done with stage 5. I don't see any bad anything in the previous stages.

47. Leashy

It is finished. It says 0kb in bad sectors. Is there anything else you need to know from this check?

48. sach2

No.
    at the prompt type these two commands:
    C:
    dir

Is BCD showing up in the list?

49. sach2

That command is not right.
    Try
    at the C:\> prompt which you should be at it you tried the above:
    cd boot
    attrib bcd -s -h -r
    dir

50. Leashy

It says BCD_Backup

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds