Win7 won't start

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Leashy, Feb 3, 2012.

1. Leashy

Leashy Private First Class

I researched the toshiba recovery and it sounds like you're right. I'd rather not do anything like that unless I have no other choice.

2. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

I just don't know. I've been reading on the winload error and it seems to be involved with the BCD having a wrong signature for the drive. One last thing before I have to call it a night. (I know you wanted this working for Monday but I don't really understand what the problem is and will have to read a bit more to find a better answer than to keep running the automatic repairs.)

At the command prompt:

bcdedit /export C:\BCD_from_sysr
    d:
    cd boot
    attrib bcd -s -h -r
    rename bcd bcd.older

Reboot to the CD and it should do automatic repair. Restart without CD.

3. Leashy

It asks for my password, but not the normal windows screen. And it just goes to recovery options again. I'm probably forgetting something, but I think I am burned out for the night.

Thisisu, I will try what you wanted in the morning... I hope you don't mind.

Good night you two. ♥

4. sach2

Good night. :)

5. sach2

When you get a chance can you create a new FRST.txt log and upload it? I'd like to see the bootrec info in it. You may have to rename or delete the previous frst.txt on the flash drive.

6. thisisu

thisisu Malware Consultant

No problem. Take your time.

By the way, if the PC just shut off on its own, you may also have a hardware problem, which is leading to your Windows getting corrupted (due to the improper shutdowns that causes).

It could be a wide variety of things causing the issue.

For example:
    • RAM
    • Hard drive
    • Power supply
    • Overheating
    • Motherboard

7. Leashy

Hey guys. Going to do the last couple things you've said. Let me know if there is anything else you want me to try.

Tapping f10 did nothing. My Toshiba screen says F12 for boot menu. When I bring it up, there is 6 options, then <enter setup>

8. sach2

I don't need that FRST.log.

I want the output of the bcddedit /enum all command. I'll figure out how Thisisu got that file (He did it while you were in Windows so that won't work right now.)

I have a better handle on how bcdedit works. Playing around with it, I got all the same errors you have. The winload.exe file is fine (it is not corrupt or missing). The reference to it in the BCD file is incomplete as Thisisu pointed out many posts ago. When I see your current bcd enum output I will see if we can figure out how to repair that line. If not, I have tried building from scratch and had some success but I want to do it again to foresee any possible problems. I have just finished re-imaging my drive so I can do a thorough run through. I'll get back in a couple of hours with a way to get the enum.txt file I want to see.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2012
  9. Leashy

Here's the log. I had to get another computer to work from. :(

I was able to get my work log files by opening notepad from the command prompt and sending them to the flash drive. I would still like my gazillion pdfs for work and some pictures but I don't know how to do that, if it's even possible. I would still like to get the computer up and running... still hoping. Even if I have to reinstall windows, I will, but if it's the HD, that wouldn't work anyway.

Attached Files:

10. Leashy

Didn't see this until after I attached it. :-D

11. Leashy

I only understand half of what you said, but I trust it all! I'll be up for anything you want to do. Good luck ;)
    I will be back in about 6-8 hours after I finish working. Thanks again for sticking with me.

12. sach2

I think the attached file will give me the enum/all info I want.
    You have the flash drive with frst.exe on it. It should also have fixlist.txt and fixlog.txt on it. Delete both fixlist.txt and fixlog.txt from the flash drive.

Copy the attached fixlist.txt to the flash drive. So it now has frst.exe and this new fixlist.txt.

Boot from the CD with the flash drive attached. Run frst.exe from the flash drive. Hit the fix button to create a new fixlog.txt on the flash drive and attach the new fixlog.txt to a post here.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2012
  13. thisisu

You should try again. It's basically around the same time if you were to start tapping F8 to boot into Safe Mode -- AFTER the initial splash screen of the brand of your PC.

Included a screenshot of the correct screen:

[​IMG]

14. Leashy

Here's the log.

Attached Files:

15. Leashy

I'm sorry, it still doesn't work. Tapping F8 doesn't work for me either. Only the 2 options the Toshiba screen gives me. If I tap after the Toshiba screen, all it does is beep at me.

16. sach2

Delete fixlist.txt and fixlog.txt from you USB. Download the fixlist.txt attached to this post. Copy the new fixlist.txt to your USB.

This is dependent on frst.exe having been run after booting from CD. It sounds like you have restarted after creating that log. So boot from CD get to the command prompt and run frst.exe from your USB. After it closes the first time you do not have to restart it.

Now at the command prompt type:

bcdedit /create /d "My Win 7" /application osloader

It will return something like "The entry {51b5776g-3266-67e1-5867-9feb093744fr} was successfully created"

Now use your mouse and highlight that number (your number will be different) including the brackets using the left mouse button, and then right click the highlighted text, to copy it (you won't get any message that it was copied).

Now at the command prompt type notepad and hit <enter> to open notepad.
    Select Open from the File menu and open the fixlist.txt on your USB. Choose Edit and then Replace. Paste the text (brackets and number) into the "replace with" (second) box by left clicking the mouse EDIT: It may be right-click and Paste in Notepad. In the fixlist.txt file that is open in notepad highlight the first instance of {d9f58371-5466-11e1-9866-9feb0937cc2d} and right-click it and select copy. Paste it into the the Replace window in the "Find what" (first) box. Hit the Replace All button. Go to File and Save to save the file.

Close notepad. Run frst.exe and hit the Fix button.

Try to restart without the CD.

If you have trouble doing the copy/replace then I can try to automate that. It is a bit tricky highlighting the brackets and number at the command prompt.

I hope it starts Windows after rebooting. Either way upload the fixlog.txt from the USB after restarting.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2012
  17. Leashy

Not really sure what's happening, but when I first check in notepad to see what letter the flash is, it says it's C, so when I type the command to scan with frst, it says the tool is setting itself up to scan local disk. Then it says done and that I will have to run it again.
    If I check notepad again, it will say a different letter.

Edit: Should I continue on now that it says it's letter Y? And do you mean to scan with frst when you say to run it?

18. sach2

Running the tool does change drive letters that is what I wanted it to do. You do not have to run frst or scan again. I just wanted it to set drive letters the same as last time.

Your USB is now drive Y:

Continue with the "bcdedit /create /d "My Win 7" /application osloader"

Then try to copy that long number and brackets. Open notepad and go to drive Y: and open fixlist.txt and try the Edit and Replace.

19. thisisu

It starts counting down right? From 9 or so... 9..7..5..3..1 then it terminates. Sign of hard drive failure in my experience.

20. Leashy

I am stuck right here. Do I close the replace box that I pasted the the number into to paste the second number? Also not sure what you mean by "the first instance".

Edit: the more I read it, the more I'm getting it... I think :)

21. sach2

First instance just means highlight the first line in the file with that number. It is there 4-5 times.

You have the replace box open and have pasted the long number into the "Replace with box". The first box "Find what" is still empty. Don't close the Replace box.

So click the Notepad window to bring it forward. Highlight {d9f58371-5466-11e1-9866-9feb0937cc2d} and select Copy. Click the Replace box to bring it forward. Go to the Find What box and right click and select Paste. So both boxes have numbers in them. Then select Replace all. Close the replace box.

Now Notepad window should be forward. You should no longer see any long numbers that match {d9f58371-5466-11e1-9866-9feb0937cc2d} but have a different number there instead.

Is that what you see? If that is what you see then you should go ahead and save the file.

22. Leashy

I didn't realize I could highlight the notepad with the replace box open on top of it. I was able to do it all... I did see all the numbers change.

Here's the log. I restarted without the cd and it's going to System recovery options.

Attached Files:

23. Leashy

I keep hearing that :( However, I don't recall that happening, although it could have and I missed it.

24. sach2

Something is still not right.

Can you upload/attach the fixlist.txt from the USB? Not the one you downloaded but the edited one from the USB drive. It seems several commands were not executed.

25. Leashy

Here it is.

Attached Files:

26. sach2

You have done everything right but I still see something wrong. I tested this and had no problems. It is too late for me to concentrate. I'll look at the last couple logs tomorrow and try to figure out if I missed something with the fixlist.txt.

I am convinced this is fixable. Your Windows files are valid it is just a matter of jump starting the OS. I'll review everything tomorrow and try to see what the problem is.

We are only working with boot files so your Windows files are safe. :)

27. Leashy

If you are convinced it's fixable, I'm all for it. I'll check back with you tomorrow! ♥

28. sach2

Let's try one more time. I want to try to run through the whole process without restarting that laptop so I'll just add steps one by one.

Delete fixlist.txt and fixlog.txt from your USB.
    I've attached two files fixlist.txt and fixlistone.txt. Copy them to USB. USB should still have frst.exe on it as well.

Boot from CD and go to Command Prompt. Find your drive letter for the USB and go the drive letter and type frst.exe to run the program. When it says it has to be run again, don't run it again.

Type:
    e:
    attrib

Does it just return two files bootmgr and WinPE...?

Last edited: May 14, 2012
  29. Leashy

bootmgr and WinREPartition.ini

30. sach2

Good. Start Frst again and hit the fix button. Close Frst.
    Open Notepad go to your USB drive and open fixlog.txt. Most commands should be successful are there any that had errors?

31. Leashy

I started frst and clicked fix. Then opened notepad and my flash drive wasn't there.

32. sach2

I don't know why that would be.
    At the command prompt try notepad y:\fixlog.txt

If that doesn't work just type
    y:
    and see if the prompt changes to y:\>

33. Leashy

Typed the first command and it said the file or directory is corrupted and unreadable.

34. sach2

Just remove the USB and plug it into the computer you are using. Can it be read--can you see the fixlog.txt?

35. Leashy

No, it's asking me to format it.

36. sach2

I'm not sure what to do with that. Did you have anything you need on it? Or can you reformat it without losing anything?

37. Leashy

No, I can reformat it... I removed everything before I started using it.

Edit: Never did this before and don't want to screw it up... should I just leave the unit size and file system the same as what it shows me?

38. sach2

I would choose FAT32 if available for the filesystem type. Then just go with the unit size it recommends.

I going to change that fixlist.txt in case that was caused by the second command. So when done formatting. Put FRST, this fixlist.txt and the fixlistone.txt from my post earlier today. (Just the fixlistone.txt from the earlier post, don't redownload the fixlist.txt from that earlier post as it may have caused the problem with the USB)

Last edited: May 14, 2012
  39. Leashy

Ok, I started frst and clicked fix and then went through notepad to see the fixlog. It looks like the third command says the syntax is incorrect.

40. sach2

Was that the "rename e:\boot\BCD e:\boot\BCDdel" command?
    Did the next one complete successfully

41. Leashy

Yes, that's the one... says incorrect directly below that.

It says it completed successfully below the next one.

42. sach2

I don't know why that would cause a syntax error it looks right to me, try typing this in by hand:
    del e:\boot\bcd
    del y:\fixlog.txt

Do you get an error?
    If not then start Frst and hit Fix again. Check notepad. Other than an error on the "rename" command is everything else ok?

43. Leashy

Did not get an error, but it didn't seem to do anything.

Hit fix again and under the second command it says File note found - E:\boot\BCD
    And under the third command it says The system cannot find the file specified.

44. sach2

That is fine we had just deleted it. You have several other successful(s) in the rest of the file?

If so go ahead and close notepad.
    At the command prompt type:

y:
    rename fixlist.txt fixlistused.txt
    rename fixlistone.txt fixlist.txt

Then you have to try to copy the number and brackets that come up below and do the replace in notepad.

45. Leashy

This is where I am. Do I do this the same way I have before with typing y:\frst64 ? Or just frst64 because I am already at Y:\> ?

Last edited: Feb 12, 2012
  46. sach2

Either one.

Please up load the fixlog.txt after you restart.

47. Leashy

It's working! ♥

Edit: Or not. The screen went black.

Attached Files:

48. Leashy

Not gonna edit the previous post again.

It does seem to be working. A window popped up saying the system restore was successful and has gone back to 2/2/2012. I'm thinking the screen went black because of the restore... not sure.

49. sach2

Well, you have certainly earned it! :)

Edit: I was just going to post about creating a restore point. Now, I think we did a system restore (150 posts ago) and it may never have restarted after the restore so that would be the message you just got. Unfortunately, The screen going blank would not be normal. Is it remaining blank?

50. Leashy

Nope... it was black, but I could still see the cursor and then windows loaded and I got the restore message.

I'm getting my important stuff off just in case ;)

So you think it's good to go now? Thank you so much for your help!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds