Win98 black screen after splash screen

Discussion in 'Software' started by subgeeky, Mar 9, 2008.

1. subgeeky

subgeeky Private E-2

I have a 128 MB AMD K-7 computer with Windows 98. A few months ago I turned it off and left it alone. Upon booting up recently, the Windows 98 splash screen appears, then it goes black afterward and nothing happens.

I tried a Windows 98 boot disk downloaded from the web.

With the boot disk, I get the following:
    following file is missing or corrupt: HIMEN.SYS
    There is an error in your CONFIG.SYS file on line 1

following file is missing or corrupt: OAKCDROM.SYS
    There is an error in your CONFIG.SYS file on line 6

It does detect the CDROM drive on startup.

It does boot in safe mode with no apparent problem.

Searching the sotfware support forum, I found a post that with the title: Win98 SE wont boot in normal mode

So I tried MSCONFIG and disabled Load startup group items, it did not work.

I tinkered and re-enabled Load startup group items, but selected Diagnostic startup in MSCONFIG.

After creating a User, adding Password, and selecting Normal mode, it boots fine. I would prefer to boot up in Normal mode without having to go thru the Diagnostic startup.

Is this fixable? Should I attach the bootlog in Normal mode or run highjack this and attach that log?

By the way, how do I know how much hard disk space do I have left or the disk capacity without opening the box to look inside. I have completely forgotten all that info. Cannot get Windows Explorer to display the info, nor find it in Device Manager.

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Click on My Computer and a window will come up showing your floppy drive, your hard drive and your CD drive. Hold your cursor over C:\ (or if you normally double-click, then click once). The information for the total size, how much used and how much free should appear.

3. subgeeky

subgeeky Private E-2

I got the hard disk capacity figured out. Just need to check properties of the C drive. There is still plenty of hard disk space left.

I have run "scandisk with fix error option", reported no errors and nothing got fixed. Still can't boot into normal mode without selecting Diagnostic startup in MSCONFIG.

Still black screen after splash screen when started in normal mode.

4. subgeeky

subgeeky Private E-2

Think I figured it out. SOmehow the user got removed, just needed a valid user.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds