Windows 10 Standard Account Issues

Discussion in 'Software' started by HumbleServant1611, Dec 26, 2017.

1. Hello Geeks,

I have setup a standard account for a person and to prevent unwanted programs from being downloaded. I noticed the other day that google chrome was installed as well as opera. I read further on these programs and why they don't need administrative privileges to install was because they install to the user file dictionary instead of the system file dictionaries. I looked for way to block these browsers from being install but I found nothing sufficient to do the job. I come to you geeks to get some straight forward answer and instructions on how to do this. I was looking in the firewall and making a rule but it didn't work.

It is a Windows 10 Home Edition so no Group Policy to use any suggestions would be great, thanks again.

HumbleServant1611

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

3. TimW

Try downloading and installing in a non-admin account. See if it asks for a password.

4. Replicator

Replicator MajorGeek

You can also install & configure gpedit.msc for Win10 home editions here.

Eldon likes this.
  5. Installing Chrome or the secpol.msc the initial install it ask for a password but when you click no it comes up and says you don’t need admin privileges to install chrome.

HunbleServant1611

6. TimW

Successfully installed gpedit.

Replicator likes this.
  7. Thanks it installed successfully for me as well. And here is the Instructions on how to block applications from running that you don't want running, in case someone else wants to do this also to there Windows 10.

Prevent Users From Running Certain Programs

Thanks Again,
    HumbleServant1611

TimW likes this.
  8. So I have to update this because after awhile I notice, especially today, I was trying to set some other Group Policies and found out that they did not work. Today I was focused was preventing taskbar settings to be changed and trying to hide the notification area so that the Zonealarm Firewall could not be turned off by exiting out of it through the notification icon. Also I have questions on Zonealarm that some could help me with. But I can start another Thread for that.

HumbleServant1611

9. Geek_Justin

Geek_Justin Corporal

Just curious why you don't want them to run Chrome or Opera? Personally I only use Waterfox.

10. Well the person downloading them isn’t the computer owner it is her daughter who is the one that downloads these things. She likes to think she knows more about computers because her son went to college but she just downloads programs specifically programs that gives her free stuff that you should be paying for. I told the owner to not let her on the computer but she doesn’t want to do that but then ask me to fix her computer. So it’s never ending and I’m honestly tired of dealing with it so I regeared towards prevention instead of running scans I’m just fine tuning it so I can just be done with it.

HumbleServant1611

11. Geek_Justin

Geek_Justin Corporal

Yep, that's a very good reason.

12. dr.moriarty

dr.moriarty Malware Super Sleuth Staff Member

Meh! Present said owner with a bill that compensates you for the aggravation.

HumbleServant1611 likes this.
  13. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

Try Program Blocker.
    http://www.thewindowsclub.com/program-blocker-free-download

14. As for Microsoft Edge it can be disabled by following the file path: C:\Windows\SystemApps\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe
    and renaming it. I just add "(edit)" at the end of it so i know it was edited if I forget what characters I typed in to edit it. So now when you click on it it does nothing. Simple easy solution for any one that whats to do that.

P.S. I'll give that program a try Eldon, thanks for the suggestion.

HumbleSevant1611

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds