Windows Cannot Find UNC Path

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sfschmi, Nov 11, 2008.

1. sfschmi

sfschmi Private E-2

I get the following message when I try to navigate to one of my servers. "Windows cannot find \\ic-a\d$\. Check spelling and try again, or try searching for the item by clicking the Start button and then clicking Search."

I’m having trouble navigating to servers on a different subnet/vlan using it’s share name. I can navigate to the server via the ip address \\10.10.12.240\d$\ but I cannot navigate there using \\ic-a\d$\. No one else in our company has this issue. I can go to any PC and navigate to the server, \\ic-a\d$\. I have Global Domain Admin rights so rights should not be an issue. Note: there are 4 other servers on that subnet and I get the same result for all servers.

I’m on subnet 10.10.11.x and I can ping the server at 10.10.12.240 and also using it’s share name “ic-a”, but I can’t get there by opening Windows Explorer and typing \\ic-a\d$. Unfortunately, some of the programs that I use remotely require the UNC name. I’ve uninstalled and reinstalled the programs using the IP address but the program resolves the name during install and when I try to open the program, it says that it cannot find the server.

Even though it’s not a DNS error (I can ping the server name “ping ic-a”), I’ve tried ipconfig /flushdns and that did not help. I’ve uninstalled/re-installed TCP/IP and Client for Microsoft Networks. I’m using DHCP and obtain DNS automatically. Ipconfig /all shows the correct DNS and WINS servers. I’ve installed and run Malwarebytes’ Ant-Malware. I’ve installed and run Advanced Windows System Care then uninstalled it. I’ve uninstalled Symantec Anti-virus, rebooted, tested then re-installed. Still no luck.

Seems like it’s a client issue but I need help determining where to go from here. Can anyone help?

Here are my HijackThis results.

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
    Scan saved at 10:53:51 AM, on 11/11/2008
    Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6000.16640)
    Boot mode: Normal

Administrator edit: Please read the following link about posting HJT logs http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=38752

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2008
  2. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

ugly hack but it would work, is to set a line in the machines hosts file to set 10.10.12.240 = ic-a so it skips dns resolution and uses the ip directly.

3. sfschmi

sfschmi Private E-2

Forgot to mention that I already tried that and it didn't work. this is a frustrating issue. Still looking for some ideas.

4. TOmji

TOmji Private E-2

I wanted to say I have the same issue on a Domain Controller. Pretty sure it's with File association but I could also not solve it.

5. Geminiione

Geminiione Private First Class

is there a reason for different subnet? that is the issue, it is looking for adress on the wrong street

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds