Windows ce 7 Applications/software?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Nexus_, Jun 6, 2012.

1. Nexus_

Nexus_ Staff Sergeant

I got a mini notebook which has windows embedded compact 7 .. i thought maybe it would be convenient for just checking emails and surfing the web along with possibly viewing some files from my sd card.

The problem is it seems this thing is HIGHLY limited. Firstly most webpages don't work or won't load.. well ok that is not really a problem but i can't find anything to get my files to work.

The thing won't read my mp4's, mp3, avi's, wmv, docs, or pretty much anything else i have i on my sd card which makes it notable worthless to me.

Is there any way i can get some sort of application to read these files on windows embedded compact 7?

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

3. Nexus_

Nexus_ Staff Sergeant

The Core Pocket Media Player you provided in the link no longer works the file being hosted there has been removed. Which is really a pity as it seemed that would fix some of my problems.

nearly everyone of my files from my other pc which i put on an sd card don't work on this net book. It can't really read anything

I think this net book may be too limited for me , yes i can browse the web on it but 40% of pages won't work or it takes too much time loading them.

My main purpose i wanted it for was for checking, web surfing, paying bills and purchasing things on the go , and hopefully having my other files from my other pc being able to be accessed on this one. I wanted to show some presentations on it at work as well something like powerpoint..

Any ideas of what netbooks or laptops i can get for $150 or less that can do what i described above? Besides being able to access web pages without problems i want it to be able to read files from that i load to my sd card from my other pc so i can access them on the portable notebook/laptop.

Ideally i was shooting for something like a 7''-14'' screen one. I like the hp mini but its around $300 usd...

tablets would be ok if i can access my files that i want

4. plodr

You want a netbook that runs windows, not windows CE. That's probably why all the links are old and outdated - people have moved up to something more robust.
    My one netbook (7" ASUS) came with linux, which I still run. My other netbook (11.6" Acer) runs Windows 7 Home Premium. I'm extremely pleased with both of them.

I have movies installed on sdhc cards and USB pen drives. I have no problem watching movies on either netbook. Very nice while I need to wait for an appointment and there is no internet access.

My ASUS cost around $250, if I remember correctly. I bought it in 2008 when netbooks were hot. The Acer was on sale at Target for $250 (August 2011) but I received a $30 gift card when I purchased it.
    I think the prices are around $250.

5. plodr

Prices are now higher - what else is new. Keep checking Target's weekly sales flyer and you might be able to get a deal on an Acer.
    Mine came with 2GB or RAM, that's why it can run Home Premium. If you get one with 1GB of RAM, chances are it will run Windows 7 Starter.

6. Nexus_

Nexus_ Staff Sergeant

What are the specs on your 7 '' Asus one?

I am going to assume its using ddr3 memory ( at least the acer one)?

If its not its not worth it IMO.

The 7'' notebook i got has something like arm 11 processor 1 ghz, 512 mb , 2 gb.. cramped keyboard.. ( useless for what i want it for).

Is this your acer? Acer Aspire One AO722-0473 11.6-Inch HD Netbook

It seems it costs the same amount of money right now as the HP Mini 210-4150NR 10.1-Inch Netbook. But i believe the acer has a worse processor ( single core and mini has dual). I guess the trades offs for getting an acer would be 1 extra gig of mem, a 1 inch bigger screen, home premium.

i am unsure what graphic's card the hp mini i mentioned has though.

Would it be a bad idea if i bought one of those used i am sure i could probably get one of those acer's or hp minis for about 150-170 used but i always like to get my items brand new since i know people are sometimes careless with their items ( ex. scratches, dinks, stains etc..).

Tbh i would not spend anything above $150ish for one of those as it will be mostly a luxury.

What's your opinion on a tablet? would it be suitable for my needs? There is some Chinese tablets with decent specs for around 70-130 usd. My main concern about tablets, and netbooks ( besides what i want to use them for) is the battery life 6 hrs should be the minimum or at least 5

7. plodr

ASUS no longer makes the 7" netbook. (it was made in 2007 and 2008) If you found one used, it would cost more than $150.
    It came with 512MB RAM (one slot only) and I purchased a 1GB stick at the same time I bought the netbook.
    It has a 4GB ssd so it is very cramped to run windows with all the updates and security patches. Most people that install a windows version on it, nlite it. That's why I stuck with linux, I didn't want to build my own version of windows.

CPU: IntelĀ® Celeron M 353 (900MHz is the max)
    RAM: DDR2 SO-DIMM

Yes.
    It was at Target for $199 and then $219. I suspect the prices have risen considerably because of the shortage of hard drives.
    The graphics in the Acer is great. I watch movies on it (usually through the sd slot) and I'm well pleased.

For me, a tablet is useless. I want either a notebook or a netbook. Your needs might be way different than mine so what works for me might not work for you.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds