Windows XP user login very slow

Discussion in 'Software' started by Nicky5774, Aug 28, 2013.

1. Nicky5774

Nicky5774 Private E-2

pc: amd athlon 64x2 dual core processor 5200+
    2.70 GHz, 2GB of RAM

Issue: boot up normal, User log on incredibly slow (5mins to get to desktop)
    when desktop loads, speeds normal.

What have we done:
    Cleaned msconfig start up
    cleaned registry
    removed all malware
    removed all PUPs
    run windows cleanup procedure as suggested by this forum.

We are now stumped! Why is the user account load so slow?

2. AtlBo

AtlBo Major Geek Extraordinaire

Have you run chkdsk /f /r? Open the command prompt and type chkdsk /f /r, making sure there are spaces before the slashes, and then press enter. Or you can run chkdsk from the Tools tab of the main drive disk properties menu (check in both boxes). Reboot after the chkdsk is finished. This might solve your problem...

Recommend scanning with Malwarebytes' first to see if it turns up anything. Make sure to update to the latest definitions. Full scan is always better than a quick scan, but you could run a quick scan and then the chkdsk /f /r. Then you can run a full scan during a time when you will be away from the PC...

If the chkdsk /f /r doesn't fix the problem, reopen command prompt and type sfc /scannow and press enter. This may require a Windows installation disk to complete the process...

3. Nicky5774

Nicky5774 Private E-2

Chkdsk run but issue not fixed. I'm not able to be on site of the PC, the user is not comfortable running the sfc function, so this will be delayed til next week.

4. Nicky5774

Nicky5774 Private E-2

Long delay due to holiday and illness but sfc now run and the problem is still the same - very slow between entering the login password and the desktop displaying. Any further help would be much appreciated.

5. AtlBo

AtlBo Major Geek Extraordinaire

Hello Nicky5774...

Hope the holiday part was good.

Questions...
    1. Which version of Windows do you have?
    2. Do you usually log out rather than turn the PC off so that you are on long boots (like days I mean) or is the problem happening during boot log ins?

When you have time, see if you can open Task Manager to see which processes are running and using large amounts of processor bandwidth when you log in. You can't do it until you see the desktop I know, but maybe you can check while the processes are still running. To open TM just right click on the task bar as soon as you can see it and select Task Manager...

Mean time this looks like one of those situations where it would be a good idea to open the system configuration utility (Run->msconfig) and turn off all your start ups. See if that makes the log in better, then you can start adding them 2 back two at a time until you determine what is using the processor during login...

6. Nicky5774

Nicky5774 Private E-2

Thanks for the quick reply. I am using Windows XP Home edition and the problem is occurring during boot logins. I will do the other bits over the weekend and post the outcome.

7. Nicky5774

Nicky5774 Private E-2

I have finally made it to try the msconfig option!! I disabled everything (only about 8 programs were set to startup) and the problem was still the same. Is there anything left to try please. Thanks

8. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

Greetings, Nicky5774.

Couple of shots in the dark:

1. Try creating a new user account and logging into that account - do the symptoms change?

2. Do the symptoms persist when the machine is booted into Safe Mode?

3. Have you tried the user login with all security software disabled?

Also, what Windows XP Service Pack level is the machine running and are all Windows Updates current?

9. Nicky5774

Nicky5774 Private E-2

Yes, I have created a new account and its still the same. Also the same in safe mode. I have even tried with the virus checker uninstalled.

10. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

Good morning.

For reference, we still need this info:

Also is this Windows XP Home, Pro, etc.?

And, this is a weird symptom:

When the machine loads Windows, are you presented with user choices (Admin, named users, Guest)? How many users are accessing the machine and what are their rights? And do the symptoms occur with all users?

Sorry for all of the questions: just trying to get a handle on what's going on.

11. polymorpher

polymorpher Private E-2

The is more than one way programs run on startup - you can use microsoft's own "autoruns" to give your self a review if you know what should and shouldn't be running.

http://technet.microsoft.com/bg-bg/sysinternals/bb963902.aspx

as the others say, some diagnostic won't hurt.
    Give it a stress test with some app overloading your res.
    then a proper AV run - say kaspersky. (trial version is handy if you don't wish to keep it)
    And then its the usual steps of anti malware thats been more than well covered in this forum.

Despite what people usually say about XP - my last install has run flawlessly for 8 years now.
    Obviously some people tend to need it reinstalled every 3 months - you can scrap a new car 3 hours after you buy it - its not the car's fault.

12. Nicky5774

Nicky5774 Private E-2

Hi. Running Windows XP SP3 with Windows Update enabled. I have 2 user accounts + guest + one I created to test whether it happened on a new account. It happens on them all.

13. polymorpher

polymorpher Private E-2

Account is irrelevant

you either have a software clog
    or a hardware problem

stress test for hardware
    autoruns and the rest for software.
    Besides you can always reinstall that XP and keep what you need on a seperate drive.

If a fresh install still screws up - its time you worked on the hardware.
    You can test that on a boot-able disc, on dual boot install, on a virtual machine and so on.

Clone a drive and so on.

To save this hassle in the future just be mindful of your machine's performance, what goes in and what goes out. That way you can always tell when you get a drop in performance for no obvious reason. Most people who get these problems usually do because they don't bother to filter out the crap-ware so many installers are clogged with these days, and machines can handle it only until a point.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds