XP Reload Help (Dell Inspiron 531s) (n00b)

Discussion in 'Software' started by Demonyx, Dec 8, 2008.

1. Demonyx

Demonyx Private E-2

Windows Vista vexed me to no end so I thought I was cool and reloaded Windows XP on my Dell Inspiron 531s, now I cannot connect to the internet via my my Linksys router. I suspect I lack the proper drivers as nothing can be seen in my network places.

1) How do I tell what drivers I need?

2) How do I get these drivers?

3) How do I install these drivers?

I tried downloading what I thought was what I needed. From online and from the "drivers and utilities" disk that came with my PC but I'm clueless on how to install drivers. I click on .exe files and nothing happens nothing changes.

Please Help and Teach Me,
    Thanks,
    Demonyx

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi and welcome to Majorgeeks

Guess your lucky as Dell in the Inspiron 531s actually has XP drivers available here

You'll need to Install the Chipset driver first then, Network driver but as their are two of them, one is wireless driver and other looks like ethernet so install both.

Need to be in the Admin account on the PC to install drivers effectively, so logon as Admin.

Also check in Device Manager for yellow ! marks, if you find any please tell us what they are next too.

3. Demonyx

Demonyx Private E-2

Thanks!!

Okay, I "installed" the Chipset Driver and then both Network drivers still no luck. Restarted PC, no luck. (By the way, to install these drivers properly all I have to do is click on the .exe and follow the directions, right?)

Here is an image of my device manager: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v623/Avoidable/untitled-1.jpg

Thanks,
    Demonyx

4. Demonyx

Demonyx Private E-2

Thanks for the welcome.

I have "installed" the Chipset Driver and then both Network Drivers. Restarted PC. No luck. To install drivers all you must do is click on .exe files and follow the steps right? I don't have my single user home PC set to require a password, I just turn on the system and things are ready to roll. Does this mean I automatically have admin status? If not how do I go about doing that?

Here is an image of my device manager: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v623/Avoidable/untitled-1.jpg

Thanks,
    Demo

5. Demonyx

Demonyx Private E-2

Would dual booting with Vista & XP solve all this driver nightmare?

6. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Yes if you just go straight to desktop your in the admin account, so that is fine for installing these, the screenshot of device manager shows that the Chipset Driver has not installed or installed correctly as SMbus would not show, likely why you cannot get ethernet working.

The drivers yes should install just by clicking the exe and your off, could do with some system spec and this shoudl help below, attach the Everest log.

Yes you could dual boot that way you knew that with Vista the network worked, so you can have interent while trying to work out the XP driver situation.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds