Drivers showing up that don't do anything...still unsolved

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tift84, Aug 17, 2008.

1. tift84

tift84 Private E-2

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=166830

that link is to my last thread that hasnt been responded to in a couple days. The problem is still unsolved.

The problem is as follows:

I have 2 drives in My Computer that are not drives at all, in fact they arent even apart of my computer. CD Drive (F) & Removable Disk (G)

I believe that the removable disk G: is my HP Printer, but I don't know why it shows up in my computer as a drive, since you cant store anything on it. As for CD drive F:, I have no idea what it is there for. I have not installed any external drives and I do not have anything in any USB ports, except the printer.

I would like these drives removed, or at least not visible.

In my last thread i was asked to "Go to START, CONTROL PANEL, SYSTEM, HARDWARE tab, DEVICE MANAGER button. Look for red/yellow (! or ?) and let us know which you have & where. Most likely, they can be deleted in device manager and will disappear after a boot." However, there was no red/yellow ! or ?.

Then i was asked to "Start, Run and type this in
    RunDll32.exe shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL HotPlug.dll
    when you open it, do the two phantom drives appear?
    If so, select to remove them." But again, the drives never appeared.

Since then I have not had any response as to the next step in solving this problem.

Please help.

2. Novice

Novice MajorGeek

If you're sure that the drives that you mentioned aren't physically on your computer ( virtual ), then please read the thread that I'm posting a link to, and check the second one that I mentioned. It worked for this person, and might help you! :)

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=163466

3. Appzalien

Appzalien Staff Sergeant

Can you identify these phantom drives in Device Manager by comparing the properties of the drives (right click properties) in My Computer and what shows in the Device Manager under "Disk Drives" or "Dvd/Cd-rom Drives"? You could try uninstalling them from Device manager and see if they come back.

I have one computer with a removable disk with a drive letter that has a card reader attached to it, does your printer have a card reader for printing photo's directly? that could be your removable drive. The other drive (F) could be a virtual drive from when you installed either Daemon Tools or Alcohol 120% that is still there even if you may have uninstalled the software. Nero also can install a virtual drive for its Drive Imaging software. That kind of drive will show in Device Manager under the "Dvd/Cd-rom Drives" and would have SCSI in its name.

4. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

The drive that you think is on the printer (many printers have a media slot for digital 'film' sticks) will not be able to be removed. The reason you can't store anything on it is because the slot is empty. I bet if you put a blank digital 'film' stick in the slot that you could then store things there. It's not negatively affecting your PC in any way other than showing up in My Computer, so ignore it, besides, you might need it someday. As to the 'phantom' CD drive: if you have used PowerISO, MagicISO, Alcohol 52%/120% or any of the tools mentioned above, that could be where it's coming from. Also, some USB flash drives have U3 compatibility which is essentially a virtual CD drive. However, when the flash drive is removed, the virtual CD drive should go with it, so maybe it has malfunctioned somehow.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds