IOBIT 360

Discussion in 'Software' started by bags, Oct 30, 2009.

1. bags

bags Private E-2

I'm using Vista/Firefox; I'm also a paying customer of IObit.

About six months ago I was having a lot of problems I couldn't solve with all the freewares I was using. So I sprung for a few, and things got better. This is one of the products I paid for. Everything OK until 24 hours ago.

An update that requires a full removal/reinstall was offered, and I took it. Without any warning whatever, I was the proud new owner of a toolbar. A "conduit" toolbar. It cannot be removed according to the instructions it has. It cannot be removed using firefox/add-ons/uninstall. It has hijacked some of my settings and behavior that was set.

I emailed them a few times, and got one tepid response. Our toolbar is safe, and its not spyware. They did not acknowledge my dislike of not having a choice, nor did they give me a method to remove it.

I went to my credit card company, and also IObit's billing company. Got a pro rated refund (from my credit card). Have been on 2-3 other sites, and been blocked from IObit's site.

I'm quite sure I can get rid of it with a registry edit, and when I do it right, I'll share it. Meanwhile if you do not want a headache, I wouldn't download this product until there is a solution, or you like shitty toolbars you can't get rid of.

2. foogoo

foogoo Major "foogoo" Geek

3. oma

oma MajorGeek

4. iwunderdownunder

iwunderdownunder First Sergeant

Re: IObit Security 360

the new version wont install unless you use there toolbar try several times to get it installed but it freezes before completing the install so no toolbar means no program.
    that constitutes adware to me.

5. oma

oma MajorGeek

Hm, I installed the PRO version (free for a year) just yesterday to test it and got it installed WITHOUT the toolbar. Don't ask me how I did it, I just took some checks out of some box(es).

Too soon to comment on this software yet.

6. evilfantasy

evilfantasy Malware Fighter

I installed it without the toolbar. But it is adware now.

7. iwunderdownunder

yeah that's what i did i unchecked the boxes for the toolbar to be in stalled and no go it wouldn't install tried to download fresh copies several times with the same result it gets to the end of the extraction and just freezes up .might check around and give it another go.

8. iwunderdownunder

just a heads up got it to install had to turn off the real time protection on Microsoft security essentials seems it was stopping the install.no toolbar although it did change my home page.

9. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

This is a bit disturbing. The fact that you had to disable MSSE (which surprisingly is a pretty good app) just install another so called security app. AND your home page changed. I've never been a big fan of any IObit software (I do however use a "homespun" version of their defragger as a standalone-no-install app; I do NOT install it 'cuz I hate the fact that it wants to run in the background) and now my opinion has slipped even more.....

10. evilfantasy

You need to uncheck those two options before unchecking the 'Add Toolbar' option. If you don't uncheck them first then they remain checked but grayed out.

11. iwunderdownunder

yes i did uncheck all 3 boxes that we ticked but it still change my home page on firefox.i am not sure if anyone else had the trouble that i have had.it seems to be running fine now the update service just when through,just wait and see how things go for now untill the next program update.

12. bags

bags Private E-2

From what I have seen on the web the past 48 hours, is that its (the toolbar not uninstalling) an issue with Firefox (and perhaps other browsers), and perhaps not IE.

I would like to hear of a Vista/Firefox user that is NOT having this problem.

13. oma

oma MajorGeek

No issue with Firefox. I did NOT want the toolbar so I opted out.

My homepage didn't change either in Firefox or IE.

14. bags

bags Private E-2

Netscape 3.5.4? Vista? - all current updates applied?

Interesting, but, there are others out here like me, so something is up.

15. evilfantasy

16. bags

bags Private E-2

Thanks, yesterday I uninstalled and reinstalled from MG as you suggest, then later uninstalled IObit360 and Advanced System Care and several other items just for general housecleaning, and got the same result - not able to remove - just able to minimize all visual aspects of the tool and switch it back to regular google, but as soon as I log out of Firefox, right back to the mess. Oh yeah, I also deleted Firefox, and reinstalled that as well - no dice.

17. evilfantasy

Hate to put you through the paces for a toolbar but if you will work through the READ & RUN ME FIRST. Malware Removal Guide and post the logs in the Malware Removal forum we can get you straightened out.

18. bags

bags Private E-2

looks pretty intense, but I'll do it, I'll do anything at this point. I'll be back sometime in this millenium to report what I get.

19. evilfantasy

Be sure to attach the logs in the Malware Removal forum then wait for a reply. We have a backlog so it will take a few days most likely. Also try not to bump your post once you get the logs attached. Don't Bump! It Only Hurts You!!!

20. evilfantasy

21. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

I was going to post this info.
    Spread the word, IOBit steals intelluctual property from Malwarebytes.

22. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

Database so far, not code, nor their other programs. This is too soon right now.

23. evilfantasy

24. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

Yup, as seen in another thread, at this time we have talked to both parties at length in the past 24 hours and feel we had to remove it until it is resolved. Not too happy, these are both friends of ours.

25. evilfantasy

I believe also that 360 was bringing in a nice number of people for downloads? Double whammy!

26. solaris89

solaris89 First Sergeant

That has to be a tough position to be in, sorry you have to deal with it. I have been a faithful user of IObit's Advanced System Care, sure hope they didn't pilfer code for that, too.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds