Please help this is our fourth problem this week!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bobothebionicmonkey, Jan 11, 2009.

1. bobothebionicmonkey

bobothebionicmonkey Private First Class

Hey guys :)

Despite the smiley i am frustrated. first our PS3 needs to be sent in to sony for repair. then my sisters harry potter game will only show the logo and wont run. and now me and my other sister both have gotten blue screen errors!

my problem I have been able to diagnose, It is my hp deskjet F4140 all-in-one. when it is connected on startup or connected for too long I get the Blue screen error 0x0000004C.

My sister's problem is a little more annoying and i don't know what to do! she has a Acer Aspire which runs on windows vista home basic, with a 3800+ AMD Athion 64, 1GB of DDR2 memory, and 160GB hard drive. she starts up her computer logs in with her password and waits as it starts up. a bubble tells her that start up programs are being blocked ( adobe updater), then another tells her that her antivirus 2009 is turned off (this may be the problem) so then the antivirus 2009 window pops up and starts scanning. after the scan she tries to remove the stuff and it says she needs a license key. She clicks the link to get a license and the firefox window comes up and tells us no such web page exists and we should check our spelling. as she clicks out of each window the blue screen usually appears right after she clicks out of the antivirus 2009 window.
    now i have a feeling that because the antivirus protection is off windows vista shuts down if it doesn't have protection. is this true?
    if so why is it that i can't get to a site to get the darn license?
    if it isn't then could you guys help me figure out the problem? cause I'm not that technical so this stuff is over my head. it has to be quick because the thing only stays on for about 15 minutes before it shuts down.

PLEASE HELP

2. Kestrel13!

Kestrel13! Super Malware Fighter - Major Dilemma Staff Member

Hi there
    The problem with your sister's machine is Malware. Antivirus 2009 is a rogue application. You should check out this link READ & RUN ME FIRST. Malware Removal Guide

3. bobothebionicmonkey

Thank you. And now I really feel dumb. It disguises itself like it is a windows program. I Didn't know it was a fake :-o

so now a hunting I shall go! since the computer cuts out after about 15 minutes Should I do a system restore? I don't think I will have time to scan and delete this thing I read the "read me first" thing maybe I will find an answer there

thanks again!

4. Kestrel13!

I personally wouldn't opt for the system restore, no. Doing that could just bring you back to a point where there is still baddies lingering. The best course of action would be to follow the malware removal procedures. It is extremely well written, precise and easy to understand. The scanning with SUPERAntispyware and Malware Bytes will be the steps that take the longest. Well worth doing for peace of mind :)

Best of luck
    kes

5. pclover

pclover MajorGeek

My mom installed antivirus 2009 on her laptop and it caused crashing freezing and blue screening and changed the user settings. Malware Bytes removed it while running in safe mode.

6. bobothebionicmonkey

Ok now I am ticked. I can't get anything done. The computer wont let me run the spybot search and destroy and ccleaner i had already installed or install or even run installs of the programs listed in the read and run me first section. I can't do a system restore because the thing turns to the blue screen of death right after it begins checking the registry.
    I ran in safe mode and deleted everything that had to do with the antivirus 2009 (i found it in a hidden folder of program files) but still have the problem. I can't remove anything without knowing the problems, and I can't find the problems without scanning or something!:mad

I can't handle this anymore it is over my head. I may have to take it directly to someone who can fix it, any suggestions on reliable repair companies in the Tampa Bay / Saint Petersburg Florida area?

I'll check back later just in case you guys have a better suggestion than a repair shop.
    thanks for the suggestions so far :wave

PS i shoulda seen this coming, my little sister(18) doesn't seem to follow any of the safe internet practices (the ones that i got from here)

7. Kestrel13!

Hi

First of all if you decide to follow our malware removal procedures then you do need to be posting about it in malware really. If you are unable to run MBAM or SAS then try moving onto the other tools we use: I will link for reference. Take note of where it says "If something does not run, write down the info to explain to us later but keep on going." and-

"If you have problems downloading on the problem PC, download the tools and the manual updates for SUPERAntiSpyware, Malwarebytes and Spybot ( links are given in the READ & RUN ME) onto another PC and then burn to a CD."

Welcome to Major Geeks!

Please follow the instructions in the READ & RUN ME FIRST link given futher down and attach the requested logs when you finish these instructions.
    • If you have problems where no tools seem to run, please try following the steps given in the below and then continue on no matter what you find. You only need to try the TDSSserv steps if having problems getting scans in the Read & Run Me First.
    • If something does not run, write down the info to explain to us later but keep on going.
    • Do not assume that because one step does not work that they all will not.
    READ & RUN ME FIRST. Malware Removal Guide

Helpful Notes:

1. If you run into problems trying to run the READ & RUN ME or any of the scans in normal boot mode. You can run steps in safe boot mode but make sure you tell us what you did later when you post logs. See the below if you do not know how to boot in safe mode:
    2. If you have problems downloading on the problem PC, download the tools and the manual updates for SUPERAntiSpyware, Malwarebytes and Spybot ( links are given in the READ & RUN ME) onto another PC and then burn to a CD. Then copy them to the problem PC. You will have to skip getting updates if (and only if) your internet connection does not work. Yes you could use a flash drive too but flash drives are writeable and infections can spread to them.
    3. To avoid addtional delay in getting a response, it is strongly advise that after completing the READ & RUN ME you also read this sticky Don't Bump! It Only Hurts You!!!. Any additional post is a bump which will add more delay. Once you attach the logs, your thread will be in the work queue and as stated our system works the oldest threads FIRST.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds