Can't Reinstall One App After Resetting Win10

Discussion in 'Software' started by Skullduggery's Dupe, Jan 16, 2018.

1. Skullduggery's Dupe

Skullduggery's Dupe Master Sergeant

I had a major disk crash. I couldn't repair Windows, so I reset it (saving my data files), and reinstalled my apps. But I had one minor problem with that.

I had no problem reinstalling all my apps except one. That was Nuance's Dragon NaturallySpeaking, Home edition, version 13.0.

Just a week ago, several days before the crash, I had no problem at all installing it.

But when I try to reinstall now, after the crash, it keeps telling me:

"MSXML 4.0 SP 2 must be installed before running Dragon NaturallySpeaking installation"

But msxml4.msi just isn't on the installation CD. So I downloaded it from Microsoft:

MSXML 4.0 Service Pack 2 (Microsoft XML Core Services) downloaded from
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=19662

I checked off the boxes to download the whole enchilada:
    msxml.msi
    msxml4msms.exe
    msxmlsdk.exe
    msxmlcab.exe <-- When downloaded, this turned out to be msxml5.cab

Notice "msxml4.msi" isn't even there. And running msxml.msi produced the same error (see below).

So I checked the system requirements for this download. It said:

Supported Operating System
    Windows 2000, Windows 98, Windows ME, Windows NT, Windows Server 2003, Windows XP

But Dragon NaturallySpeaking Home 13.0 supports Win10.

So I tried SP3:

MSXML 4.0 Service Pack 3 (Microsoft XML Core Services)
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=15697

But again, Win10 wasn't supported, and the install failed.

Anyway, see the attachments for the errors generated.

I called Nuance, and they tried to help me for quite a while, and then gave up and said it was a Windows issue, so I should call Microsoft.

I called Microsoft, and they said it would cost $149 to talk to them, so I said "Forget it".

I'm at a loss. Any ideas?

BTW, I'm running Windows 10 Pro 64-bit on a Lenovo ThinkCentre M75e 5042 A7U. I've got 4.00 GB of RAM (3.75 GB usable).

Thanks for any help. msxml4.msi install error SP2.jpg msxml4.msi install error SP3.jpg

2. Geek_Justin

Geek_Justin Corporal

When you reinstalled Windows did you reinstall all the drivers before trying to install programs?

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
  3. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

0x80070002 is a Windows Update error.
    What happens when you check for Windows updates?

4. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

When you called Nuance, what did they have to say about this?
    Support for MSXML 4.0 SP2 expired in April 2010.

5. Skullduggery's Dupe

Sorry to go silent on this for so long, but I was dealing with the disk crash and image backup and restore that I mentioned in my other thread "Expansion Desk Usb Drive Won’t Eject".

But long story short, I did ANOTHER Windows reset, and somewhat to my surprise, the system now seems stable, and Dragon installed without a problem.

I'm still gonna swap out the old hard drive for the new one though; I'm pretty sure that sooner or later this disk is gonna crash again.

So thanks again to everybody!

6. Geek_Justin

Geek_Justin Corporal

Hard drives are easy to install. If you have it running right I'd make a system image that when you get the new drive installed you can reinstall it.

7. Skullduggery's Dupe

Oh, I already restored the image to the new hard drive before I even installed it. I did it by using a USB drive adapter. And sure, I've installed quite a few hard drives before. I just wanted to make sure I could safely and properly eject the mass storage device before swapping to a new bootable C: drive.

8. Geek_Justin

Geek_Justin Corporal

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds