Malwarebytes Issue

Discussion in 'Malware Help - Public (Anyone Can Post & Respond)' started by DaveRM, Oct 18, 2017.

1. DaveRM

DaveRM Private First Class

Run Malwarebytes first? - - But Malwarebytes is part of the problem!

I've used AVG and Mal... for, literally, years. Yesterday, AVG came up with a message that it and Mal... were incompatibe,and I had to uninstall Mal....

I did. Now, today, Palace Chat triggers a message from AVG that the program is trying to delete/amend files. Weird. I closed down quickly.

My question - Have AVG and Malwarebytes suddenly become mutually incompatible? Or is something else going on?

2. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

You're correct if you're running the full version of Malwarebytes.
    https://support.avg.com/SupportArti...cations-in-conflict-with-AVG&supportType=home

3. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

'Premium' version. The MB that has to be paid for. That is not compatible with AVG in real time.
    MB Free works just fine with any other security software installed.
    If you paid for MB I suggest you just dump AVG until or when you no longer pay for MB, and if you do use the official AVG Removal Tool.

DavidGP likes this.
  4. sexyandy81

sexyandy81 MajorGeek

I'm currently using MBAM 3 paid version with paid version of Avast Internet Security and there is no conflicts between those two programs and i have hitman pro for second opinion scans and also have cybereason ransomfree installed

5. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

What's Avast got to do with it?
    Even though Avast now owns a majority stake in the AVG business, their products are uniquely different.
    AVG and MB Premium together cause conflicts as the link in post #2 makes crystal clear.
    Avast is not relevant to this thread.

6. sexyandy81

sexyandy81 MajorGeek

i was stating a fact if the op is using avg free should think about switching to another anti virus software which probably would be better than AVG

7. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

There are plenty of good AV programs, many (in fact most of them) don't conflict with MB Premium.
    The issue here is for the OP to either ditch AVG or ditch MB Premium if they have it. It's their choice. They can easily swap AVG for one of a number of others.

DavidGP likes this.
  8. kilogulf59

kilogulf59 Private First Class

I'm having the same conflict problem...all of the sudden. They worked together until this morning. My AVG is running out and I'm fed up with them. Nothing but problems and sales pitches in the last few years. Which AV program(s) do you recommend that are comparable with Malwarebytes?

9. sexyandy81

sexyandy81 MajorGeek

I have Avast paid and MBAM paid and they work fine together. Try running Avast Free first before paying for it or anything.

10. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

I run MS Security Essentials (Win 7) which is Windows Defender on Win 8 and 10 with MBAM Premium.

Why not first try the free built in Windows av program instead of installing something else?

11. kilogulf59

kilogulf59 Private First Class

I heard Defender leaves a lot to be desired...

Thanks to all for the help.

12. So when I updated Malwarebytes today it installed the Premium (Trail) which I did not want so I uninstalled it and went to the download page on MG and I noticed it says License Type: Freemium. My question is do they not offer the standalone verison for one-time scans or what happen with the standalone free verison?

13. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

If you had looked clearly at the install windows when you download FREE version, the trial for the full premium version is optional. You simply did not uncheck that option.
    Uninstall it, restart your system, then run a new set up file and uncheck that trial option.
    Having said that, by going into its full settings now you can turn the real-time option off now.

14. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

15. StruldBrug

StruldBrug Sergeant

This is true, regarding AV in XP, Vista, and W7. Defender's focus was on spyware, but not viruses for those systems. MSSE came out about 2009 for W7 and was the MS first effort to provide an AV function. MS essentially renamed MSSE in W8 and called it Defender and carried it to W10. It continues to provide AV for these last two operating systems. The MSSE name was discontinued with W8, but of course the MS naming convention continues to confuse many.

Since MBAM v3 has become active in the virus arena, expect incompatibility issues with any other realtime AV programs. I have run it with W7 MSSE with no problems (as does plodr). Yet, I am aware off MBAM not working with other AVs. Remember the longstanding advice to "never run more than one realtime AV at the same time."

16. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

17. As you see in the image below that option has been REMOVED in the installation file. After reinstalling it I went into Settings, then My Account. There you will find the option to Deactivate Premium Trail and revert to the FREE Version. This is how to resolve it. I appreciate the feedback. Thanks.

~HumbleServant1611~

advan. opt..JPG

18. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

The option to opt out of the premium trial was always there in any update to the free version, and in the initial install of the free version. And even if it was accepted at install, the settings have always - without exception - allowed a user to terminate real time features. We already knew how to stop it or terminate it.
    It was only in a paid version download that real time protection was automatic.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2017
  19. Laurie

Laurie Private E-2

This thread resolved part of an issue, namely, Windows Defender self-installed an update two days ago, and then MBAM Premium advised "Protection disabled" and "Web Protection Off". It looks like MBAM is still useful though without Web Protection, correct?

Unfortunately, it seems that the Windows Defender update also caused my computer to crash and display Blue Screen messages a few times :-(

I also have PC Matic installed (paid version) but am not using their Super Shield. The main question now is, which AV software programs to continue or discontinue using amongst these three: Windows Defender, Malwarebytes and PC Matic.

Also, has anyone tried Geek Squad's anti-virus software? They are pushing for me to try it. I wonder if it's compatible with any of the other three I mentioned, or if there would be any point to use/try it.

Thanks.

20. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

21. dr.moriarty

dr.moriarty Malware Super Sleuth Staff Member

Hello, Laurie

This part of your post should be addressed in a separate thread. In it you should especially advise us of which operating system you use and a full description of which anti-virus programs you already have installed. What by name is Geek Squad pushing?
    *Personally, I don't think much of PC Matic and Web Of Trust has bad reviews of their website.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2018

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds