Pulling Data From Harddrive From Dos With No Os.

Discussion in 'Software' started by fcs13, Jun 11, 2005.

1. fcs13

fcs13 Private E-2

Everytime I Boot My Computer It Goes Straight To Dos. Does Anybody Know To Stop This? If Not How Can I Pull My Data Off The Harddrive So I Can Reimage It? I Am Using Win Xpsp1.

2. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

Check out http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=63970There is a link there for a program that may do what you want.

Any MG'ers out there with a better solution?

XP experts should be able to come up with abetter solution for you, I think.
    Wait a while and see who replies. Bazza

BTW, welcome to MG. Be warned, it becomes addictive. Baz

Last edited: Jun 11, 2005
  3. Shadow_Puter_Dude

Shadow_Puter_Dude MG Authorized Malware Fighter

XP does not do DOS, sounds like you have have the XP recovery console installed on your computer and it is booting to the recovery console by default.

Do the following:

1. Use the Windows XP CD-ROM to restart the computer.

2. At the Welcome to Setup screen, press R to repair the Windows XP installation.

3. Press C to repair the Windows XP installation by using the Recovery Console.

4. Type the number that corresponds to the Windows installation that you want to repair, and then press ENTER. For example, type 1, and then press ENTER.

5. Type the Administrator password, and then press ENTER.

6. Type the following command, and then press ENTER:

edit c:\Boot.ini

A list similar to the following list appears:

[boot loader] ​
    timeout=30​
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS​

[operating systems] ​
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect​

7. Save the file to a floppy disk as Boot.ini.

Post the contents of the Boot.ini

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds