Replacing Motherboard And Os; Which One First?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by GSGregg, Dec 22, 2017.

1. GSGregg

GSGregg Private E-2

Hello again, all!

I'm getting ready to can XP, finally, and use an iso-burned CD to install W8.1 on a new HDD, but increasing frequency of freezes (including some during BIOS/boot) and blue-screen events keep the computer from staying on long enough to get anything done, so I'm replacing the SiS 661FX-M7 MB with an AsRock 775i65G R3.0 (and upgrading from Celeron D-331 2.66GHz to Pentium D-945 3.40GHz).

Assuming my freeze/bluescreen problem is MB-related, there's still the issue of proper sequence (I've already assembled the new MB and HDD); can I expect to plug-and-play and let the MB find / load its drivers, or must I find some way to first load the OS? Thanks...this borrowing of Public Library computers has really gotten old:mad::D

GSGregg

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Shouldn't need to install drivers for it. So just go ahead and install the OS>

3. GSGregg

GSGregg Private E-2

Thanks, TimW;

My allotted library time is about up, so I'll let you know someday how it turns out!

Gregg

4. GSGregg

GSGregg Private E-2

Well...no cigar; no signal to the monitor (understandable when there are no drivers loaded), the CD/DVD spins in stops and starts (I don't think it's the HDD, because 7200 RPM would seemingly sound higher than what I hear), then goes quiet for a while before a short single beep and a few seconds of silence til shutdown. Total no more than two minutes (I forgot to time it).

So, I'm back in the library, looking for whatever I can find...

GSG

5. TimW

How did you install the OS? Your description would indicate you haven't installed an OS>

Last edited: Dec 23, 2017
  6. the mekanic

the mekanic Major Mekanical Geek

Do you see a BIOS splash screen?

Do you see a single cursor in the upper left corner of the monitor?

7. GSGregg

GSGregg Private E-2

Sorry, TimW; by the time I was aware of your reply (#6), my session time was expiring and the Library wouldn't open again until today.

I inserted what is supposed to be a bootable W8.1 disk, but got only what I described in #4; possibly because there were no instructions (drivers) loaded to tell the CD/DVD what to do?
    Thanks to the mekanic for joining in; my monitor is a 17" CRT with a switch that lets me warm it up before powering the desktop, so the Bios screen is what I see first. Right now, though, it just alternates between dark grey and self-test screens; after a short time, if there is no signal, the monitor's relay opens and the lit-up tower is all that remains. No splash screen, and no cursor.

I may not have phrased my question clearly; when someone builds a fresh PC, there must be a point at which they load the OS onto the HDD...but it's eluding me so far.

By the way; how does one check a CPU or MB chipset for output?

Thanks; Gregg

8. TimW

When it starts up, do you get any beep codes without the HHD attached?

9. GSGregg

GSGregg Private E-2

Only a single beep, not too many seconds in (total time, start to shutdown, 1 min 25 sec)

A thought: HDD is a Seagate 500GB Sata, connected to IDE1 through a bi-directional adapter (one of these three, but the case is buttoned up, so I can't be specific:

1) Item#: 9SIAB1Z5CX2279
    https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA5B56FB5225&cm_re=ide_to_sata_adapter
    -_-9SIA5B56FB5225-_-Product

2) Item#: 9SIAB1Z5CX1728 https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...de_to_sata_adapter-_-2BH-000B-00002-_-Product

3) Item#: 9SIA5B56FB5225 https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...de_to_sata_adapter-_-9SIA5B56FB5225-_-Product

I read a few reviews, and not all were favorable. Any opinion?

GSG

10. GSGregg

GSGregg Private E-2

Great! After an hour on a reply, I posted...and it disappeared. Trying again with 40 min to go.....

11. TimW

1 short beep, Memory Error.

12. GSGregg

GSGregg Private E-2

I timed it this time; 1 min, 25 sec from start to shutdown. Monitor relay never closed, so was no signal from comp. Single beep not too many seconds in, then quiet except for sporadic stops and starts from, I think, the CD/DVD.

A thought; HDD is a Seagate 500GB Sata, connected to IDE1 through a bi-directional adapter like this one...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/IDE-to-SAT...06&rk=1&rkt=1&&_trksid=p2045573.c100706.m4781

Memory error? Kinda makes me wish I had a second computer, so I could run memtest86...

I'm considering reinstalling my XP (plus any infections) HDD to see if the new MB will boot me to Setup or at least show signs of life...what do you think? 14 minutes left of this session...

13. TimW

You could give it a try.

14. the mekanic

the mekanic Major Mekanical Geek

To install an OS, one would typically boot from installation media like a CD/DVD/or USB pen drive. Not all machines are capable of booting to USB. Usually a CD or DVD is the most reliable method. The installation media creates the runtime environment required to install the operating system.

15. GSGregg

GSGregg Private E-2

I bought the 8.1 ISO and burned it to a DVD (bootable, they advertised), but no signal is detected by the monitor, so still trying to figure that out.

I may have a line on a second computer after all; a neighbor bought one for his business, between 5 and 10 years ago (he's not certain) but never unpacked it. Hopefully it's not equal to mine in obsolescence, but I'll at least be able to transplant the DIMMs and run memtest86...

Bright spot; as a new Cable TV customer, at least I'll have football to keep my interest for the next few weeks - and Dodgers' baseball starting in April.

16. TimW

17. GSGregg

GSGregg Private E-2

No; both my current and new motherboards take 2 x 1GB max RAM, so I've switched the existing Corsair DIMMs, which showed as healthy after a recent test of about 6 - 8 hours.

18. TimW

No? Are they DR-400 UDIMM DDR PC3200?

19. GSGregg

GSGregg Private E-2

DDR-400/PC3200 rings a bell, but I'm not positive about the "U"...I assume so.

20. TimW

Did you purchase them new or are they from another computer?

21. GSGregg

GSGregg Private E-2

They were purchased in 2011 (July, I think) and have been in my computer ever since; being of the same DDR and MB as what the new motherboard calls for, I just transplanted them.

G

22. TimW

Well, it sounds like ( according to the beep code) that your new computer doesn't like them.

23. GSGregg

GSGregg Private E-2

Hmmm...

I forgot to check on the "U" DIMM designation, and haven't received word on the additional computer, but I've run memtest86, CHKDSK and whatever else I've had my hands on, multiple times on the old comp...and results were healthy/clean/etc. even with the problems.

I tried to print the AMIBIOS Beep Codes article, but it wouldn't scroll past page one/home, so I hope I can find something I can take home and browse (during USC vs Ohio State) in case there are CPU or chipset codes...

24. TimW

25. GSGregg

GSGregg Private E-2

Thanks for the link, TimW

G

Edit: At least I haven't heard five short beeps (CPU failure) yet!

Going home to prepare for the big game!!

26. TimW

Have you tried re-seating the ram?

27. GSGregg

GSGregg Private E-2

28. TimW

Yup .... checked your link and they do not have any results for your MB.

We didn't find results for "AsRock 775i65G R3.0 ram" in Electronics.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2017
  29. GSGregg

GSGregg Private E-2

Results - meaning, compatibility? Or maybe, Blatantly INcompatible?

30. TimW

Yes.

See post #16

31. GSGregg

GSGregg Private E-2

Well, I guess I'll hit your Crucial link again and select a vendor

32. TimW

I don't think you will find it other than at crucial.

33. TimW

34. GSGregg

GSGregg Private E-2

Crucial seems to be insistent upon my using a PayPal account, which I've found cumbersome (especially with fingers turning blue in an over-air-conditioned Library), but there's a Fry's store 30 minutes away. Is there another brand that will do the job?

35. TimW

Post #33

36. GSGregg

GSGregg Private E-2

Well...I went with the Crucial memory from post #16, and of course, it had to be back-ordered, finally getting here on Jan 11. I installed it/them, hit the start switch and, after about 20 secs, got one continuous beep that lasted til shutdown at about 1 additional minute. Looked over all the connections again, retried, and was back to the single short beep (Grrrr).

The motherboard.com chart you linked to in post #24 lists no standalone long beep, and the chart at bioscentral.com/beepcodes/amibeep.htm says 1 long = POST has past all tests. (?)

I guess I'm back to reinstalling the old XP HDD (I chose to wait and see if the new UDIMMs solved anything)

GSG

37. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

In case you have not got it- your motherboard spec.
    http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/775i65G R3.0/
    So ram seems O.K
    If your screen worked with the old motherboard, then I would discount that as a problem.
    Sometimes best to go back over everything-
    My method was always
    Check that the motherboard stand-offs are not touching anything.
    Check that cpu is correctly locked, and heat-sink compound is not overdone (less is best)
    Check that heat-sink is correctly latched/screwed in
    Fit just one stick of ram, and ensure the clips 'click' into place
    Check that fan runs when the start button is pressed
    Connect the screen to the on board (internal) graphics vga (the blue one?)
    When pressing start button,click on f2 button to get into bios- if no signal- then, turn off, try the other stick of ram, restart.
    If still no signal, it can be either the ram, or, the on-board vga giving problems.
    I say this, because according to the spec, the ram you purchased is suitable.
    If a brand new motherboard, then I would consider a return, myself.

38. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Just a note for you-
    You do not need to have the hard drive, nor operating system installed, until after you get a screen show something- whether a flashing cursor, or, the Bios screen.
    Just make sure the keyboard , and mouse are also connected, and press that f2 button- sometimes it is the f1 button, to get into bios.
    As you have not had the Asus screen flash up , nor a black screen with flashing cursor, I feel it is worth going through what I wrote in post 37
    Your beep recognition does not appear clear enough to check against beep codes- read through the beep codes, and if still using the library, write them down and check when you get home- listen several times to be sure.
    I know it seems like a ram problem, but you need to carefully check the beeps.
    Of course, the stopping and starting could be a psu problem- if it is old, it could also be worth changing -

39. GSGregg

GSGregg Private E-2

Hello, baklogic - welcome to another of my white elephants!

I've been through your checklist multiple times, and just now noticed a possible snafu; in the motherboard specs, compliance lists W98SE, ME, 2000, and XP. My intention is to ditch XP (about time, eh?) for W8.1 which, along with W7. is NOT listed. This may be nowhere near the first time I've encountered incorrect info, such as the 661FX-M7 being microATX when it is actually full ATX - luckily, the case has holes for both, so the micro 775i65G fits in, anyway - or the 775 accepting dual-core CPUs...or not; I've seen both versions in what seem to be official specs and not just accidentally-typed forum posts. I bought and installed a Pentium D945 to step up from the Celeron D-331...

So, win or lose with MB, BIOS, and CPU, am I going to simply be shot in the foot?

Setup on the 661FX-M7 was entered by pressing Delete, and F8 at just the right time brought up the Advanced Boot Menu...so, F1 or F2 is now the one to use?

Beeps were definitely one short, about 19-20 seconds after power-up, then the one long/continuous one, again after ~ten secs in and lasting until shutdown at about 1:25. The next attempt produced another single.

"...seems like a ram problem..."; Memtest86 showed the 5+-year-old Corsair DIMMs to be error-free in multiple tests, and the 400-watt PSU (also Corsair) never exceeded 150 watts on the Kill-a-watt monitor with Motherboard Monitor 5 (MBM5) showing correct voltages. Of course, I can't read MBM5 now without a working display, but I trust the PSU...

Gotta print some 1040As and stuff...thanks for joining in;

Gregg

40. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

https://www.manualsearcher.com/asrock/775i65g-r3-0/manual
    Chapter 3 BIOS SETUP UTILITY
    IntroductionIntroduction
    IntroductionIntroduction
    Introduction
    This section explains how to use the BIOS SETUP UTILITY to configure your system.
    The BIOS FWH chip on the motherboard stores the BIOS SETUP UTILITY. You may
    run the BIOS SETUP UTILITY when you start up the computer. Please press <F2>
    during the Power-On-Self-Test (POST) to enter the BIOS SETUP UTILITY, otherwise,
    POST will continue with its test routines.
    If you wish to enter the BIOS SETUP UTILITY after POST, restart the system by
    pressing <Ctl> + <Alt> + <Delete>, or by pressing the reset button on the s

41. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

I suggest that you read through the manual, and then disconnect everything except the processor. and the screen.
    Install one stick of ram- do not connect the dvd, or have anything else plugged in (no usb connections other than keyboard and mouse)
    Power up , and keep tapping f2 button, to get into bios.
    You will be wasting your time going further, until you see a flashing cursor on a black screen, or the bios page.
    Once you have either of those- then shut down and reconnect items one at a time.

42. GSGregg

GSGregg Private E-2

Thanks for the link, baklogic; I wish that I (or even the library computer-person) could figure how to make this W7 rig print the darned manual. I wrote down your instructions from post #41, and I'll see how far I get.

Just over six mins left in my session, so Wednesday's a wash...

Gregg

43. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

The manual my be copyright and made so that you cannot copy,or, print it- It may print with an office program.
    Have you thought about using a usb stick to save the stuff you look at/up on the library pc ?
    Sometimes in a manual, you need to type in page number on the top line, but I tried the scroll,and it worked o.k
    Check
    Checked - processor is supported ..............see list

94http://www.cpu-upgrade.com/mb-ASRock/775i65G_R3.0.html#cs
    - HH80553PG0964MN / BX80553945 / BX80553945R

945, 3.4 GHz, 800 MHz FSB, 4 MB cache, Presler Any
    945, 3.4 GHz, 800 MHz FSB, 4 MB cache, Presler, Stepping D0 Any

Ram--
    Actually listed as fit for your motherboard on Amazon

So, I would do the check-as I listed previously, if you get nothing on the screen after clicking f2 , or, you have no black screen with flashing cursor when starting.
    Of course,if you still have the old motherboard, then it might be worth testing your screen on that.
    --
    When you get it showing something.on the screen.....shut down completely -For safety,unplug, and press power button to completely remove any current from machine- if cpu fan is working it will spin for a few seconds
    You asked what order to do things----
    Then connect items one at a time-the dvd,
    Then the hard drive
    Put your usb, (or, dvd )in ready for when you startup
    Then switch back on
    Press f2 (keep tapping quickly,if necessary ) to get to bios screen
    Go to startup options, it should now show a list of options-
    Choose the usb stick, the usb stick (if you want to use that)-(or, dvd as first option, if you have a dvd )
    Click F10 button to save and exit
    When the pc restarts you will need to click the enter button as soon as it shows on screen "start from dvd" (or, may be usb0
    This can often only be on for a few seconds, so you must click on any, or, the enter button pretty quickly, or, it might look at the hard drive and say something like "no operating system"
    If you miss it - press control/alt /delete buttons to restart, and it will restart and give you the chance again.
    You will need your COA for the Windows system, to put in as it asks for it-have it handy.
    Once the system has installed (it may restart a few times to load basic drivers (already in Windows disc)
    You should have had a disc with your motherboard- if so, now is the time to put it in the dvd slot,and load them. If you have not got one, once you are setup, you will need to install an antivirus, and drivers .
    It could be useful if you have a usb stick, to download drivers, and antivirus before going on-line- You should be able to do this at your library- mainly copy the links on to notepad, and save to your usb stick.
    You may need them to get your ethernet, or, wireless setup, before you can get on-line
    I will come back with some links for you, shortly.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
  44. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

If looking at Asrocks site- when putting in the name,just leave Asrock off, and put in 775i65G R3.0
    http://www.asrock.com/support/index.asp?Model=775i65G+R3.0
    http://www.asrock.com/support/index.asp?cat=ModelName
    Drivers
    http://www.asrock.com/MB/Intel/775i65G R3.0/index.asp#Download
    http://www.asrock.com/MB/Intel/775i65G R3.0/index.asp#CPU
    Once you have the basic drivers, you can go back to Asrock for updates, or, Windows my offer them.
    If you have difficulty with finding any drivers, an easy way to get them, and get them installed, is to use Driver booster by Iobit
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/iobit_driver_booster.html
    In fact using driver booster will find almost anything you need- The free version is enough to start with.

If the Library allow you to use a usb stick- just copy all you can to it, and take it home for use - perhaps a neighbour might let you put it in their computer, and print it off for you .

45. GSGregg

GSGregg Private E-2

Flash drive I got, but until my neighbor comes across with 'my' second computer (see post #15), I have no way to utilize it or follow links once I leave the library. At least I was able to print posts 41 - 44 (the printer sees this topic as 16 pages, currently, and I got the last three), so I may be able to do 'the check' for which I had no time last night...

Regarding W8.1/motherboard compatibility; this is the only related question I found:

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1768540/socket-775-win.html

I guess two people think it'll work...

Thanks again for your help;

Gregg

46. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

I d not think you have any problem with w8.1 , although it says on site up to ME- I have never had a problem updating over the years with older motherboards.
    Looking at your motherboard, it does show two sata cable connections -the blue ones- I would think they would be better for connecting the dvd, and hard drive- I am looking at it wrongly ?- if I am correct, you would be better to buy, and connect those, than use a convertor.
    When you start up, if the psu fan works, and the cpu fan is working, then you are nearly there- I would expect the screen to come on with pressing the f2 button as you startup (or, the Asus logo to show, at some point in starting).
    If not, ensure the ram is correctly seated, and clips lock in (remove, and replace) Remember not to touch the metal parts, and do try to touch the chassis, or, metal radiator,or, water pipe to ensure you do not transfer static to the ram, or, other parts in the pc. (I always use a wrist strap-like this
    https://www.amazon.com/iMBAPrice®-A...=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B014CB9TVS
    I may be duplicating some of my previous parts of my post, but I thought it might be useful.

47. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Just a thought - I have had a long beep many times, and it turned out to be a sticking key on the keyboard - As there is nothing in the beep code for it........

48. GSGregg

GSGregg Private E-2

In the distant past, I did run a SATA drive (it eventually developed a Controller Error and now resides in an external enclosure as a backup); the old 661FX-M7 must have had a slightly different assortment of sockets or something. Of course, with everything unplugged again, I can take another look...
    Everything's unplugged except ATX12V2 and ATXPWR1. I can see the case fan working, but can't see or hear the others, due to limited space in my Hoarder's Paradise (cluttered house). the case fan comes on immediately with power-up, runs about two secs and quits. Restart and Ctrl-Alt-Delete do nothing, and shutting off/turning on the PSU switch seems to require an extended off-time (maybe 20-30 secs or even more) before power-up will repeat...then it's the same two-second run...
    I have a similar wrist-strap, but don't use it much since finding out how easy it is to contact a chassis part on the way in
    Resting an external enclosure on what I thought was an adequately large keyboard footprint is/was probably the culprit; thanks for that...

Heading home for another try; if I learn anything, I'll head back for my remaining 55 minutes (but closing is in 2.5 hrs...) :D

49. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

You did not need the case fans on first test.... Often best to disconnect everything, but at least it shows case fans/motherboard working.
    Let us know how you progress.
    Some motherboards can give a single beep when powering on (mine doe if power supply is connected- usually able to change, if wanted, once into the bios screen. So, it is possible that the single beep is not the ram.

50. GSGregg

GSGregg Private E-2

Running out of things to try, so checked the BIOS battery (maybe it sat on Newegg's shelf too long?); 3.06V looks good to me.
    Switched the HDD to Sata1, removing the adapter. The MB is stenciled under IDE1 socket, "To optimize compatibility, connect HDD to IDE1", and I guess that's why I thought the adapter was appropriate. I now have an empty IDE; does it matter which one?

Now I guess it's time to reinstall the old stuff and see if it'll function long enough for this board to be sent back and checked out (It had so many bluescreen events that the minidump file would no longer accept new entries...).

https://forums.majorgeeks.com/threads/spontaneous-reboots-are-really-bsods-duh-xp-sp3.317535/ (just for familiarity; I wouldn't subject anyone to 37 posts...)

Thanks again for the help;

Gregg

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds